Birkie, Korte, Prince Haakon, BirkieTour & Fat Bike Birkie
Hayward, Wis. (April 30, 2016) – The American Birkebeiner Ski Foundation (ABSF) board of directors today announced that registration will open for the 2017 American Birkebeiner schedule of events on May 2, 2016. North America’s largest cross-country ski race, the American Birkebeiner, is scheduled for Saturday, February 25, 2017 with the Kortelopet, North America’s second largest ski race, and Prince Haakon races moved to Friday, February 24, 2017. Additionally, Fat Bike Birkie, the world’s largest fat bike race, and BirkieTour event registration will open on Monday as well
Friday, February 24, 2017
The most significant changes in 2017 will be on Friday with both the Kortelopet and Prince Haakon races moving from Saturday to Friday to provide for a better overall race experience for all Birkie, Korte, and Prince Haakon skiers. Both races will finish in downtown Hayward with the 28K Kortelopet starting at the Highway OO Trailhead and the 15K Prince Haakon starting near Mosquito Brook. Skiers will be greeted by the ringing of cowbells, cheering fans and the post-race celebratory atmosphere that was lacking at the current race start and finish.
- 10:45am – Kortelopet 28K Classic & Skate Ski Race
- North America’s second largest ski race moves from Saturday to Friday where skiers will journey from the Highway “OO” Trailhead to the finish line on Hayward’s Main Street
- 1:15pm – Prince Haakon 15K Classic & Skate Ski Race
- A race which honors the Norwegian King, rescued and skied to safety by Birkebeiner warriors in 1206, the Prince Haakon Race will begin near Mosquito Brook and skiers will make their way to the finish line in downtown Hayward, Wisconsin – a first for the 2017 race
Saturday, February 25, 2017
For the first time ever, on Saturday, February 25, 2017, the 44th Annual Slumberland American Birkebeiner skiers will line-up at the new Birkie permanent start, made possible by Phase 1 of the ABSF’s first-ever capital campaign which launched in 2015. The 2017 American Birkebeiner will christen the start as skiers embark on an over 50K journey (50K skate/54K classic) to their final destination at the finish line in Hayward, WI.
- 8:30am – 44th Annual Slumberland American Birkebeiner 50K Skate & 54K Classic Ski Race
- North America’s largest cross-country ski race finds thousands of skiers recreating the journey that Norwegian Birkebeiner warriors journeyed to save Prince Haakon – the very legacy of the American Birkebeiner race
There is a 10,500 participant race cap for the combined three races. Registration will close when this cap is reached. Wave Placement is based on first registered, first seeded basis. Once a wave has filled, participants will be placed in the next available wave.
Saturday, March 11, 2017
In its fifth year, the Fat Bike Birkie has grown from fewer than 200 riders in 2013 to greater than 1000 riders in 2016. Riders from as far away as England and Finland participated in this year’s race which attracted racers from 2 countries and 14 states.
- 45NRTH Fat Bike Birkie
- The Fat Bike Birkie is the world’s largest fat bike race and offers both 47K (The Big Fat) & 20K (The Chico) race options for riders of all skill levels. In addition, a criterium obstacle course and fat bike expo round out the event weekend.
Additionally, the BirkieTour, an untimed, aid station supported tour of the Birkie Trail is slated for January 15, 2017. The BirkieTour offers skiers experience on the trail before February races, allows skiers who are not interested in racing an opportunity to experience a supported event, and provides skiers to spend time with family and friends, at their leisure, on the legendary Birkie Trail. Registration opens for this event on Monday, May 2, 2016, as well.