- ABSF Development Grant Program
The mission of the American Birkebeiner Ski Foundation is to promote cross country skiing as a fun, energetic activity that is part of an active and healthy lifestyle. This effort focuses both on youth and adult skiers.
ABSF Large and Small Grant
To encourage sport growth, the American Birkebeiner Ski Foundation annually provides grant funding opportunities to skier development programs. Priority will be given to organizations that are cross country ski focused, but organizations that support running, biking, and other off-season programs for skiers are also encouraged to apply.
As of 2016, the American Birkebeiner has awarded over $400,000 to cross country ski programs across the United States.
Priorities of the Skier Development Grant Program include, but are not limited to the following:
- The creation of new or expansion of existing cross country ski programs;
- Sustainable, quality programs that promote cross country skiing;
- Programs that can demonstrate an ability to promote the Birkie mission and lifestyle in their communities; and
- Programs that have matching grants.
- Small Grants- $1,000.00 or less;
- Large Grants- $1,000.00 or more (75/25% reimbursement, final 25% will awarded after final report is submitted by March 1, 2018);
- Minnesota Youth Ski League and Skiwerx Club Equipment Program Matching Grants (for MN/WI kids age 3-13; up to $1000 from MYSL and $1000 from ABSF). Please fill out the Youth Development Grant application. Applicants must be or become a MYSL Club. See Minnesota Youth Ski League for more details. Three grants are given per season (may go past Sept. 15 deadline if working with MYSL).
- Youth Development Programs (CXC Nordic Rocks Programs should work with CXC for ABSF grant opportunities. See contact information below.)
- Adult Programs
- Coaches’ Training
- Trail Maintenance
- Multi-discipline programs
- New programs
- Established programs
Equipment purchase (equipment purchase for free “try-it-out” adult sessions is not eligible), race sponsorship, coach’s stipend, program supplies, trail improvement supplies, etc.
Grant Eligibility and Reporting:
- Please note: grant applications are accepted from across the U.S., however priority is given to applicants from the Midwest;
- All groups awarded grants must submit a W9 before funds will be distributed;
- Large grants must include recognition of ABSF on website, publications, and other appropriate media;
- ABSF must be provided with a copy of the press release announcing the award. Assistance can be given by ABSF, if needed;
- Awarded programs must complete a final report before March 1, 2018;
- Minnesota Youth Ski League and Skiwerx Matching grant recipients are required to attend the MYSL Coaches Training.
Application Deadline is Friday, September 15, 2017. Applications must be submitted in Microsoft Word format via email to email@example.com, please indicate if you have not received a ABSF Grant previously. See the application document for more information. Grant awards will be announced mid-October 2017.
Looking to start a CXC Nordic Rocks program in your school or area? Contact Bruce Manske with CXC to find out more about the program and how the ABSF can support your efforts, firstname.lastname@example.org.
*If you have questions about the ABSF Skier Development Program, please contact John Oman at email@example.com or call him at 715-634-5025
Please note that many of the companies producing skis, boots and poles work with local dealers to provide discount deals for Junior skier teams and programs. Check with your local dealers to find out if they can provide Young Skier equipment discounts.