- ABSF Skier Development Grant Program
The mission of the American Birkebeiner Ski Foundation is to promote cross country skiing as a fun, energetic activity that is part of an active and healthy lifestyle. This effort focuses both on youth and adult skiers.
ABSF Large and Small Grant
To encourage sport growth, the American Birkebeiner Ski Foundation annually provides grant funding opportunities to skier development programs. Priority will be given to organizations that are cross country ski focused, but organizations that support running, biking, and other off-season programs for skiers are also encouraged to apply.
As of 2015, the American Birkebeiner has awarded over $400,000 to cross country ski programs across the United States.
Priorities of the Skier Development Grant Program include, but are not limited to the following:
- The creation of new or expansion of existing cross country ski programs;
- Sustainable, quality programs that promote cross country skiing;
- Programs that can demonstrate an ability to promote the Birkie mission and lifestyle in their communities; and
- Programs that have matching grants.
- Small Grants- $1,000.00 or less;
- Large Grants- $1,000.00 or more (75/25% reimbursement, final 25% will awarded after final report is submitted by March 1, 2017);
- Coaches Training Grant (please fill our the appropriate youth or adult form depending on the age group primarily coached);
- Minnesota Youth Ski League and Skiwerx Club Equipment Program Matching Grants (for MN/WI kids age 3-13; up to $1000 from MYSL and $1000 from ABSF). Please fill out the Youth Development Grant application. Applicants must be or become a MYSL Club. See https://www.mysl.org/tips for more details. Three grants given per season (may go past Sept. 15 deadline if working with MYSL).
- Youth Development Programs
- Adult Programs
- Trail Maintenance
- Multi-discipline programs
- New programs
- Established programs
- Coaches Training
Equipment purchase (equipment purchase for free “try-it-out” adult sessions is not eligible), race sponsorship, coach’s stipend, program supplies, trail improvement supplies, etc.
Grant Eligibility and Reporting:
- All groups awarded grants must submit a W9 before funds will be distributed;
- Large grants must include recognition of ABSF on website, publications, and other appropriate media;
- ABSF must be provided with a copy of the press release announcing the award. Assistance can be given by ABSF, if needed;
- Awarded programs must complete a final report before March 1, 2017;
- Minnesota Youth Ski League and Skiwerx Matching grant recipients are required to attend the MYSL Coaches Training.
Application Deadline is Thursday, September 15, 2016. Applications must be submitted in Microsoft Word format via email to firstname.lastname@example.org, please indicate if you have not received a ABSF Grant previously. See the application document for more information. Grant awards will be announced mid-October 2016.
Click on the following links for the appropriate grant application:
2014-15 Grant Application Recipients
The American Birkebeiner Ski Foundation received an unprecedented 38 grant requests for the 2014-2015 season, totaling close to $100,000 in requests. All applicants presented programs that have a lot of merit, making it the toughest decision year yet for our grant committee. Our $20,000 budget truly does not go far enough!
We would like to congratulate the following organizations and programs who were selected to receive grants:
- 4-H CANSKI (Chequamegon Area Nordic Ski Club) – Washburn, WI
- Ashwaubenon Nordic Ski Team – Ashwaubenon, WI
- Bay Area Youth Nordic Ski Club – Hobart, WI
- Blue Hills Trails Association – Bruce, WI
- Drummond Telemarkers Ski Team – Drummond, WI
- Grand Mesa Nordic Council/Skis for Kids – Paonia, CO
- Hayward Hurricanes Nordic Ski Team – Hayward, WI
- Kewaskum Middle School – Kewaskum, WI
- Minocqua Winter Park Nordic Wolves & Pups – Minocqua, WI
- Pennsylvania Cross Country Skiers Association Yellowjackets – Allison Park, PA
- Red Wing Nordic Youth Development Program – Red Wing, MN
- Ride and Glide – Ski and Bike Club – St. Paul, MN
- SKI! Shell Lake – Shell Lake, WI
- Sun Prairie/Madnorski Juniors Cross Country Ski Club – Sun Prairie, WI
- Wausau Nordic United High School Team – Wausau, WI
- Wisconsin Nordic Development Group – Amherst, WI
*If you have questions about the ABSF Skier Development Program, please contact Kristy Maki at email@example.com or call her at 715-634-5025
Grant applications for the 2015-16 season will be available by the end of June, 2015.
Please note that many of the companies producing skis, boots and poles work with local dealers to provide discount deals for Junior skier teams and programs. Check with your local dealers to find out if they can provide Young Skier equipment discounts.