Greetings from Northern Wisconsin! Mother Nature has dealt us a cold day for the 2016 BirkieTour, however, the Birkie team has taken precautionary strides to ensure a great, albeit chilly, day on the Birkie Trail. With appropriate dress, and thoughtful preparations, we are confident that all involved will have a day filled with fun, skiing, friends, and food. As always, our number one priority is the safety of our participants, volunteers and staff. With that in mind, please read the following important updates regarding the 2016 BirkieTour.
Revised Schedule for Sunday, January 17
- 8am – 9am – Birkie Ridge bib pick-up has been delayed by one hour (was 7am-8am)
- 9am – 10am – Skiing start window (was 8am-9am)
- 9am – 2pm – Course open (All skiers must be off the course by 2pm)
- 11am – 2pm – Food served in the large, warm festival tent – Sponsored by Cabin Stop
Revised and Abbreviated Course for Sunday, January 17
- The BirkieTour course has been abbreviated to distance options of 25K or 44K – See map
- 25K loop: Birkie Ridge north to Fire Tower aid station; south to Boedecker aid station; south to “OO” aid station, u-turn and head north to Birkie Ridge and the large festival tent
- 44K loop: Birkie Ridge north to Fire Tower aid station; south to Boedecker aid station; south to “OO” aid station, u-turn and head north to Fire Tower aid Station, continue the loop for a second lap and return to Birkie Ridge and the large festival tent
- Skiers will never be more than 3K from an aid station, with aid stations approximately every 6K, with exception of the final leg to Birkie Ridge which is 6K
- Regardless of which course skiers are registered for, they have the option of completing any distance they choose
- Additionally, there will be numerous cut-off points marked by signage along the course route, making the distance of any course very flexible
Revised Cut-Off Times for Sunday, January 17
- * All participants must arrive at the following locations by the compressed cut-off times. Maximum allowed time on the course is 5 hours to complete the 44K loop. We anticipate the course may be slow, please plan accordingly.
- All skiers must complete the BirkieTour by 2pm!
- 12:15pm revised cut-off time for Fire Tower aid station (was 12:00pm)
- 1:00pm revised cut-off time for Boedecker aid station (was 12:45pm)
- 1:15pm revised cut-off time for “OO” aid station (was 1:00pm)
Additional Tips for a Successful BirkieTour:
- Check the weather so you’re certain to dress appropriately for current conditions
- Take advantage of the support and warmth of the aid stations along the course
- Watch for signage and cut-offs along the course route
- Worldloppet stamps will be available for anyone completing the 44K course
- The Rivers Eatery in Cable, Wisconsin will be open 11:30am to 3:30pm – another warm place to gather on a chilly day!
While it may be a cold one, it’s also a great opportunity to ski the trails with the support of aid stations. And, you’ll be trained, practiced, and ready should February’s race weather be particularly brisk! Please continue to monitor your inbox for any last minute updates from the Birkie team.
Let us know if you have any questions! Check www.birkie.com for details or call 715-634-5025 or email.
See you Sunday at Birkie Ridge!
Your Friends at the Birkie