Birkie, Korte, Prince Haakon, Birkie Tour & Fat Bike Birkie
Hayward, Wis. (April 29, 2019) – The American Birkebeiner Ski Foundation (ABSF) today announced that registration will open for the 2020 American Birkebeiner schedule of events on May 1, 2019. North America’s largest cross-country ski race, the Slumberland American Birkebeiner, is scheduled for Saturday, February 22, 2020, with the Kortelopet and Prince Haakon races slated for Friday, February 21, 2020. Additionally, Fat Bike Birkie, the world’s largest fat bike race, is March 7, 2020, with the Birkie Tour hosted on January 19, 2020.
There is a 10,500-participant race cap for the combined three ski races. Registration will close when this cap is reached. Wave Placement for the Slumberland American Birkebeiner and Kortelopet is based on a first registered, first seeded basis. Once a wave has filled, participants will be placed in the next available wave.
As part of registration, 2020 Slumberland American Birkebeiner, Kortelopet, Prince Haakon, and Fat Bike Birkie registrants have an opportunity to help the ABSF go greener by donating $45 to the ABSF toward a reusable Birkie gear bag. The $125 value reusable backpack style bag, designed by SWIX specifically for active outdoor lifestyles, will be used in lieu of the large plastic bags skiers receive as part of their packet at bib pick-up. The exclusive Birkie gear bag is available only during the registration process. The program, now in its third year, has been extremely successful with event participants purchasing over 8000 gear bags to date, ultimately reducing thousands of plastic bags in our nation’s landfills. Skiers and riders must register by July 1, 2019 to guarantee a reusable Birkie gear bag for their 2020 events. Details are available at www.Birkie.com.
Sunday, January 19, 2020 – Birkie Tour
- The Birkie Tour, an untimed, aid station supported tour of the Birkie Trail provides skiers with experience on the trail before February races, allows skiers who are not interested in racing an opportunity to experience a supported event, and extends skiers a fun and camaraderie filled atmosphere, with family and friends, at their leisure, on the legendary Birkie Trail. Presented by Brent Carlson, MD.
Friday, February 21, 2020
- Kortelopet 29K Classic & Skate Ski Race – North America’s second largest cross-country ski race will journey from the Highway “OO” Trailhead east of Seeley, WI, to the finish line on Hayward’s Main Street. Presented by Salomon and L.L. Bean.
- Prince Haakon 15K Classic & Skate Ski Race – A race which honors the eventual Norwegian King, rescued and skied to safety by Birkebeiner warriors in 1206, the Prince Haakon Race will begin near Mosquito Brook, outside of Hayward, WI, and finish in downtown Hayward. Presented by Northern Lakes Cooperative – Corner Deli.
Saturday, February 22, 2020
- 46th Annual Slumberland American Birkebeiner 50K Skate & 55K Classic Ski Race – Birkie skiers will embark on an over 50K journey (50K skate/55K classic) to their destination in Hayward, WI. North America’s largest cross-country ski race finds thousands of skiers recreating the distance that Norwegian Birkebeiner warriors traveled to save Prince Haakon – the very legacy of the American Birkebeiner race.
Saturday, March 7, 2020
- 45NRTH Fat Bike Birkie – The Fat Bike Birkie is the world’s largest fat bike race and offers 47K, 21K, and 10K options for riders of all skill levels on the legendary rolling hills of the award-winning Birkie Trail. Presented by Freewheel Bike.
To date, more than 250,000 skiers have finished Birkie ski events. An estimated 40,000 spectators and skiers gather for the Nordic sports festivities each year. The 2020 Birkie week of events is scheduled for February 20-23, 2020. In addition, the ABSF has a year-round calendar of events including the Birkie Trail Run Festival (September 27 & 28, 2019), the Lumberjack Run (August 3, 2019), and a full slate of other outdoor events and programs. Registration for all events is available at www.Birkie.com.
Posted April 29, 2019 at 11:46 am