Virtual Events - Skate & Classic
Ski your American Birkebeiner, Kortelopet, or Prince Haakon anywhere between Saturday, February 20, 2021 and Sunday, February 28, 2021.
Submit your results and you will earn completion credit for the event you are registered for. Virtual participants will have their bibs, ski stickers, medal or pin, and participant hat mailed to them free of charge. Skiers may switch to virtual until February 27 and will receive their bib packets after the event.
- Ski 43K for the American Birkebeiner
- Ski 26K for the Kortelopet
- Ski 14K for the Prince Haakon
Registration is closed for virtual and in-person events.
Track your ski on your watch, phone, Garmin Connect, Strava, etc. If not available, make sure someone can verify your accomplishment (knew you were skiing and your plans, you notified them when you started/stopped, etc.)
The virtual event is perfect for skiers wanting to stay closer to home, looking for a more physically distanced event, worried about finishing their event with time limitations on course, and/or skiers that need more flexibility in their schedule.
All participants that switch to virtual will get their bib, participant hat, and finisher medal/pin mailed to them. Birkie Gear bags will not be shipped automatically. Requests for Birkie Gear Bag shipping ($11 fee), will be accepted until March 31, 2021. Click here to have your Birkie Gear Bag mailed to you.
Birkie Gear Bags will be mailed to U.S. addresses only. Birkie Gear Bags may be picked up in-person at bib pick-up or during specific times to be determined this spring at the Birkie Store.
Where Can I Ski?
Anywhere you like! Check out Birkie Virtual Venue Partners, below, if you’re looking for a groomed trail, course suggestions, and more amenities!
The entire Birkie Trail will be open for skiers on Saturday, February 20th and Sunday, February 21st. The trail south of the Hwy OO Trailhead will be open the remainder of the week and will be groomed to the best of our ability. The American Birkebeiner, Kortelopet, and Prince Haakon race courses will be closed to virtual participants Monday, February 22nd-28th for course preparation and in-person races. Parking at OO is reserved for Barnebirkie participants, Jr. Birkie participants, Birkie Medical Team, volunteers, and staff. Please park at alternate parking areas Feb 24-28, including Fish Hatchery and Mosquito Brook Trailheads.
Participants may submit virtual results starting Sunday, February 21. All virtual skiers will receive an email with specific instructions on how to submit and what information to include.
- Fill in all fields:
- Event (Birkie, Korte, PH)
- Technique (skate, classic)
- Virtual venue (if applicable)
- Be prepared to share tracking information from GPS device, phone, or witness. Results will be randomly confirmed.
- Virtual participants will not earn completion credit unless results are submitted. Please submit results by March 3, 2021.
If you do not have your email, use this link to submit results using your bib number and birthdate. Submit Virtual Results
Additional Details & FAQs
- Must complete your distance in one continuous ski- i.e. “aid station” breaks are good, leaving the venue or completeing the distance over multiple days or trips is not allowed.
- Technique distinction is not necessary. Skate or classic is acceptable regardless of registration.
- Ski anytime within the virtual dates- you do not need to pick a specific date when switching.
- You can complete the virtual event the same day that you switch your registration.
- Must finish your time within the time limits:
- American Birkebeiner: 10 hours
- Kortelopet: 7 hours
- Prince Haakon: 4 hours
- Must submit your finish time and distance through the requested channels to receive credit. Submission information will be available before February 20th
- Additional frequently answered questions here.
- Wear your bib if you get it in time, but most importantly- Ski!
- Virtual results will be posted with other results on the Birkie website.
Birkie Virtual Venue Partners
Check back often as more Virtual Venue Partners are added!
Virtual Birkie race participants will need to follow all rules of selected venue, including paying local trail fees if required.
Summary of Venue Amenities Offered
|Amenities||Tier 3||Tier 2||Tier 1|
|Grooming Week of Race|
|Daily (when possible) Grooming|
|Virtual Course Designation||Either physical or digital course designation|
|Physical Course Designation|
|Timing & Aid Stations|
Virtual Non-Snow Options
What if you need to stay home, but there is no snow?!
Equivalent Distances in Kilometers
|Activity||American Birkebeiner||Kortelopet||Prince Haakon|
|Rowing (erg or water)||50||25||12.5|
Midwest Ultimate Ski Tour
The Virtual American Birkebeiner, Kortelopet, or Prince Haakon can be part of a season of racing! See more information here!
New! Birkie App
Navigate your event like a a pro! From race guides to maps and your event profile, the Birkie App is your connection to all things Birkie 2021!