Marketing & Communications Director
Job Title: ABSF Marketing and Communications Director (MarCom)
Organization Summary: The American Birkebeiner Ski Foundation is a 501(c)(3) non-profit organization dedicated, as reflected in the Birkie Mission Statement, to: hosting one of the world’s best cross country ski events – the American Birkebeiner; maintaining one of the nation’s premier recreation trails; and promoting healthy, active lifestyles for people of all ages and abilities.
Accountabilities: The MarCom Director is responsible for all external communications, providing communications and branding leadership and strategies, message and delivery management, content and branding development and management – for all Birkie brands and entities. The MarCom Director is responsible for hitting key marketing goals and budgets that will be reviewed and set annually. The MarCom Director must be self-motivated, outgoing, organized and structured. The MarCom Director must have a passion for outdoor sports and be a strong team player.
Position Activities: The following activities are part of the daily/weekly/yearly activities that the position will be involved with.
- Participate as part of organizational Leadership Team. Assist in developing strategies and messaging for events, operations, sponsorship, sales, membership, capital drives, and other as needed.
- Develop and manage all customer communication with the goal of filling event registrations, communicating programming, and keeping all Birkie community informed.
- Develop and manage all branding assets for all Birkie brands and entities.
- Coordinate and manage photography and videography assets and needs for all events, programs, and initiatives.
- Develop and manage communications delivery systems to convey messages to key audiences including electronic and printed materials.
- Develop and manage innovative PR programs and issues/crisis management as needed.
- Promote collaboration with other events, organizations and community stakeholders
- Develop and manage standards for staff created content to convey Birkie messages to all audiences.
- Oversee all content to ensure consistent messaging and delivery to key audiences
- Writing – Develop impactful and targeted written communications content
- Data Management – Manage data for communications audiences and messages
- Content Distribution – Develop and manage content distribution systems including Website(s), email, blogs, social media channels, and other means
- Web Management – Management of communications and content on website(s)
- Support – Provide general support in all areas as needed including at major Birkie events
- Conduct and oversee all media relations and earned media efforts for Birkie events and the greater Foundation.
- Develop and/or assist with creation and production of ads, posters, annual reports, annual magazine, race guides, and related promotional collateral, for use in print and online
- Hire and manage both internal staff and external resources to carry out MarCom job activities and responsibilities.
Required Skills: The following skills are required for the position, with a strong, proven work background in all areas.
- Strong, proven writing background with a focus on message-oriented communications, including ability to both write and edit
- Background working in communications or other area with strong emphasis on audience metrics and message management
- Self-sufficient, with ability to develop long-term strategies and manage projects to completion within budget.
- Business computer skills (Word, Excel, email, Web, etc.) with an understanding of Web and graphic management applications (Basic HTML, WordPress, Photoshop, etc.)
- Background in use of Web as communications tool including understanding of social networking (Facebook, Instagram etc.), media distribution (YouTube, etc.) and blogging
- Background working with Internet content management systems
- Background working with bulk email distribution systems
- Ability to manage and educate other staff, colleagues or peers
- Positive team-oriented attitude, upbeat presence with others, including both co-workers and outside contacts
Responsible to: The position is part of the Leadership Team and reports directly to the COO with a dotted line to the Executive Director.
This job description outlines the primary roles and responsibilities. Other duties may be assigned.
Interested candidates should direct cover letter, resume, list of 3 references and at least 1 work example to Joe.Vadeboncoeur@birkie.com or mail to: Birkie, P.O. Box 911, Hayward, WI 54843 by April 1st, 2021.