Fat Bike Birkie
March 12, 2022
On the World Famous Birkie Trail in Cable, Wisconsin!
The Fat Bike Birkie, Presented by Freewheel Bike, is the premier on snow bike event in North America. Riders test their skill and endurance on the professionally groomed American Birkebeiner Ski Trail!
THREE events to choose from: The Big Fat 47K, The Half Fat 21K, and the un-timed Fun Fat 10K Tour – there is something for every rider!
Fat Bike Birkie is an Open-Class Bike Race
There are no restrictions on the specific tire size allowed. The Birkie groomers are some of the best in the world and have the goal of providing a firm surface to ride on for the races. However, we cannot control the weather and the course conditions can vary widely, from hard packed to soft powder. Just like in the Birkie Ski race, Fat Bike Birkie participants are free to choose different equipment based on the conditions of the course. We recommend that participants be prepared to race in any course condition, on a bike equipped with at least 3.5 inch wide tires.
E-bikes are not allowed for any event of the Fat Bike Birkie on Saturday, however, may be ridden during Friday’s pre-ride of the trail only.
No special equipment classes will be recognized in the Fat Bike Birkie results or awards. Tandems bikes are allowed, but there is not a special class and will not be eligible for awards. Each tandem rider must register and contact email@example.com to ensure the proper results are shown.
2022 Fat Bike Birkie Registration is Now Open!
|May 1 through September 16||September 17 through November 11||November 12 through January 20||January 21 until full or March 11|
|Big Fat or Half Fat Race||$75||$85||$95||$105
|Fun Fat Tour||$65||$75||$85||$95
All Big Fat 47K participants must be at least 16 years of age on race day. All Half Fat 21K and Fun Fat 10K participants must be at least 12 years of age on race day.
Protect Your Registration!
Get reimbursed up to 100% on your registration if you can’t compete for a number of reasons. Next Wave Insurance offers Regsaver so you can insure your non-refundable registration fee in the case injury, illness, or another covered peril occurs.* Please see policy for complete list of covered perils at www.registrationsaver.com/birkie. Limitations and exclusions apply. Next Wave Insurance, CA License #: OF00755.
2022 Birkie Gear Bag
It’s back for 2022! This year, as part of our ongoing Birkie Green initiative we’ve designed a new custom Birkie gear bag with SWIX! The reusable Birkie gear bag is available for $50 and only during registration for the Birkie, Korte, Prince Haakon and Fat Bike Birkie.
- During the 2022 registration process, you can claim your own bag for only $50! The $125 value Birkie gear bag is available during the registration process only.
- Quantities limited! Register for the race and gear bag soon to guarantee a Birkie gear bag in 2022!
- Birkie gear bags will be distributed as part of bib pick-up.
2022 Birkie Gear Bag Features
The 2022 Birkie gear bag has large, heavier zippers and plastic clips throughout the bag.
- Reinforced #10 zippers
- Tarpaulin panel on the bottom section for waterproofing and greater durability
- Bottom wet-sealed compartment for Nordic Boot storage (fits up to size 13 Nordic boot)
- Fleeced lined Sports Shield zipped compartment for glasses or visor, with brushed lining to prevent lens scratches and quick, easy access
- Large top-load zippered compartment for warm-up clothing, extra hats, and gloves
- Two zippered side compartments for extra water bottles and accessories
- Inside secured pocket for valuables; mobile phone, keys and wallet pocket
- Main pack body is made from tough 600D PVC backed polyester, internal frame-sheet transfers weight evenly and contours to the wearer’s back
- Padded EVA foam back offers cushioning and breathability over pressure points, and padded shoulder straps and harness system to distribute weight evenly
As part of 2022 race registration, ABSF members will automatically receive a copy of the 2021 Birch Scroll® magazine. If you are not a member and would like to join the ABSF or would like to purchase a copy of the 2022 Birch Scroll results issue, you may pre-order a copy during your race registration process. As part of ongoing Birkie Green initiatives, all registered participants will receive a digital copy of the 2021 Birch Scroll magazine.
Driving to the American Birkebeiner Trailhead – Start & Finish Venue
All races start and finish at the American Birkebeiner Trailhead, Cable, Wisconsin. Access to the start area is available ONLY from Telemark Road. GPS Coordinates: 46.193613, -91.256976
- From Cable, WI, Take Highway M traveling East out of Cable for 2-miles. Turn right on Telemark Road. Follow the road past the former Telemark Lodge to the designated parking areas. Follow the directions of the parking attendants.
Schedule of Events
Two Full Days of Fat Bike Birkie at the Birkie Trailhead in Cable!
|Courses Open for Pre-Riding||10:00 AM – 3:00 PM|
|Expo / Bib Pick-Up / Bike Demos / Birkie Store||1:00 PM – 7:00 PM|
|Bib Pick Up - In the Great Hall||6:30 AM to 7:30 AM|
|47 km Fat Bike Birkie - The Big Fat||8:00 AM|
|21 km Fat Bike Birkie - The Half Fat||8:15 AM|
|10 km Fat Bike Birkie - The Fun Fat Tour||8:30 AM|
|Expo / Bib Pick-Up / Bike Demos / Birkie Store / Brats + Beer!||All Day|
|Post-Race Party for All Participants--Food! Plus your first beer is Free!|
Spectators and families can purchase meal tickets, too!
|10:30 AM to 2:30 PM|
Fat Bike Expo & Bib Pick Up
Open from 1:00 pm to 7:00 pm on Friday, March 11.
- Fat Bike Birkie EXPO — Great Gear and Guidance from FBB Sponsors
- Fat Bike Demos All Day
- The Birkie Store, with Great Birkie Merchandise
Both races and the Tour will start and finish at the American Birkebeiner Trailhead in Cable, WI.
Cut off time is 2pm for all events.
The Big Fat 47K course will ride out on the Birkie Classic Trail to the Powerlines, make a quick turn to the left and rejoin the Classic Trail. After riding on the Classic Trail to OO, the course will return on the Birkie Skate Trail to the Powerlines where it will come into the finish.The Half Fat 21K course will ride out the Birkie Classic Trail to the Powerlines to Timber Trail where it will enter the Half Fat only course. The Fun Fat 10K Tour will ride on a mix of Birkie Classic Trail, smaller ski trails, and the Half Fat course before finishing the same way as the Big Fat 47K and Half Fat 21K races
Interactive Course Map
Experience the race again or for the first time! Roll over the epic hills on the legendary Birkie Trail, witness the race rollout, ride along with the pace cameras, check out the Half Fat 21K and Big Fat 47K courses, and feel the rush as you virtually ride the Fat Bike Birkie. This interactive map experience has it all!
The race course will be ridden clockwise starting with the Birkie Classic Trail and finishing on the Birkie Skate Trail!
Pre-Riding the Course — When & Where
The Fat Bike Birkie Race Courses will be groomed and marked for pre-riding on Friday, March 12 from 10:00 am to 3:00 pm. Please follow signs carefully.
Please note that riding bikes on the Birkie Trail during the winter is only allowed on the days designated for the Fat Bike Birkie event. However, winter bike riding can be accessed from many of the trailheads utilizing the Chequamegon Area Mountain Bike Association trail system. Trail conditions can be found on the CAMBA Winter FAT BIKE page.
Track Your Rider
Family and friends can track their riders as they journey toward the finish line.
- Here’s How You Can Track a Rider:
- Sign-up to receive tracking updates via SMS/text or email for Fat Bike Birkie riders, by clicking here, or through the Birkie app.
- Enter the participant’s name along with your mobile/cell phone number or email address to receive SMS/text messages (charges may apply).
- Here are the points along the trail where you’ll be able to track your skier’s progress:
- Big Fat: Timber Trail (6.6K), OO Trailhead (24K), Timber Trail (37.7K), Finish Line
- Half Fat: Timber Trail (6.6K), Nordmoor (18K), Finish Line
- Fun Fat: Finish line only
- CLICK HERE to track your rider
Fat Bike Birkie Overall Trophies will be presented to the first three male & female finishers of the Full Fat and Half Fat races. The top 3 winners in each race will also receive a custom vest created by Borah Teamwear!
Awards will be immediately following the finish of the top 3 racers.
Starting at 10:00 am, finishers are treated to a to-go lunch by the Northern Lakes Coop Corner Deli, Earth Rider beer, or soda. We have to save the party and gathering for next year- please take your food and beverage and enjoy after you have left the venue.
Want to get involved, see this event up close and personal, and be part of what makes Birkie events great? We’d love to hear from you! Contact the Birkie at 715-634-5025 x:2,1 or click here for available shifts. There is no obligation — we’re happy to answer your questions. Contact us today!
Please contact us with any questions at firstname.lastname@example.org or 715-634-5025.