Fat Bike Birkie
March 13, 2021
On the World Famous Birkie Trail in Cable, Wisconsin!
The Fat Bike Birkie, Presented by Freewheel Bike, is the premier on snow bike event in North America. Riders test their skill and endurance on the professionally groomed American Birkebeiner Ski Trail!
THREE events to choose from: The Big Fat 47K, The Half Fat 21K, and the un-timed Fun Fat 10K Tour – there is something for every rider!
Fat Bike Birkie is an Open-Class Bike Race
There are no restrictions on the specific tire size allowed. The Birkie groomers are some of the best in the world and have the goal of providing a firm surface to ride on for the races. However, we cannot control the weather and the course conditions can vary widely, from hard packed to soft powder. Just like in the Birkie Ski race, Fat Bike Birkie participants are free to choose different equipment based on the conditions of the course. We recommend that participants be prepared to race in any course condition, on a bike equipped with at least 3.5 inch wide tires.
E-bikes are not allowed for any event of the Fat Bike Birkie on Saturday, however, may be ridden during Friday’s pre-ride of the trail only.
No special equipment classes will be recognized in the Fat Bike Birkie results or awards. Tandems bikes are allowed, but there is not a special class and will not be eligible for awards. Each tandem rider must register and contact email@example.com to ensure the proper results are shown.
2021 Fat Bike Birkie Registration
|May 1 through September 17||September 18 through November 12||November 13 through January 28||January 29 until full or March 9|
|Big Fat or Half Fat Race||$70||$80||$90||$100
|Fun Fat Tour||$60||$70||$75||$80
All Big Fat 47K participants must be at least 18 years of age on race day. All Half Fat 21K and Fun Fat 10K participants must be at least 13 years of age on race day.
Registration closes Tuesday, March 9, 2021 at 11:59 pm.
Register now to guarantee your Fat Bike Birkie t-shirt!
2021 Event Changes
We are implementing many protocols and precautions to put on a safe event. The Telemark Ascent, held in October 2020, was a successful in-person event that used many of the same precautions that we will use this time around. Changes include:
- Drive-up bib pickup
- No indoor spaces or outdoor gathering areas
- Smaller start gates, separated by time
- No aid stations (you will receive energy at bib pickup to carry on course)
- Sack lunch and beverage to go after finish
- No spectators allowed
- Masks will be required in the start and finish areas
- Gathering is discouraged in start/finish areas. Please arrive no more than 45 minutes before your start. Warm up as physically distanced as possible, leave your vehicle 10 minutes before your start time, and enter the start corral at your assigned time (5 minutes before your start). Upon finishing your race, please continue through the finish gateway, collect a drink and sack lunch to enjoy on the way to your vehicle!
Race/Event Change Request
The deadline for requesting a change in race/event distances is Wednesday, March 3, 2021 at 4:00pm CST. Click here to submit your request.
Protect Your Registration!
Get reimbursed up to 100% on your registration if you can’t compete for a number of reasons. Next Wave Insurance offers Regsaver so you can insure your non-refundable registration fee in the case injury, illness, or another covered peril occurs.* Please see policy for complete list of covered perils at www.registrationsaver.com/birkie. Limitations and exclusions apply. Next Wave Insurance, CA License #: OF00755.
2021 Birkie Gear Bag – Sold Out!
It’s Back for 2021! Everywhere we looked during Birkie week 2020, we witnessed skiers using their awesome reusable Birkie gear bags! This year, as part of our ongoing Birkie Green initiative we’ve designed an all new custom Birkie gear bag with SWIX! The reusable Birkie gear bag is available for $47 and only during registration for the Birkie, Korte, Prince Haakon and Fat Bike Birkie. Through your support, over 10,000 Birkie gear bags are now in use, keeping thousands upon thousands of plastic bags out of landfills. Thank you for your support of Birkie Green!
- During the 2021 registration process, you can claim your own bag for only $47! The $125 value Birkie gear bag is available during the registration process only.
- Quantities limited! Register for the race and gear bag soon to guarantee a Birkie gear bag in 2021!
- Birkie gear bags will be distributed at the 2021 Birkie Expo as part of bib pick-up.
- Only an official 2018, 2019, 2020, or 2021 Birkie gear bag, or the purchased plastic bag, will be accepted at bag drop-off on race day in 2021.
2021 Birkie Gear Bag Features
The 2021 Birkie gear bag has been re-engineered with larger, heavier zippers and plastic clips throughout the bag.
- New Reinforced #10 zippers
- Tarpaulin panel on the bottom section for waterproofing and greater durability
- Bottom wet-sealed compartment for Nordic Boot storage (fits up to size 13 Nordic boot)
- Fleeced lined Sports Shield zipped compartment for glasses or visor, with brushed lining to prevent lens scratches and quick, easy access
- Large top-load zippered compartment for warm-up clothing, extra hats, and gloves
- Two zippered side compartments for extra water bottles and accessories
- Inside secured pocket for valuables; mobile phone, keys and wallet pocket
- Main pack body is made from tough 600D PVC backed polyester, internal frame-sheet transfers weight evenly and contours to the wearer’s back
- Padded EVA foam back offers cushioning and breathability over pressure points, and padded shoulder straps and harness system to distribute weight evenly
As part of 2021 race registration, ABSF members will automatically receive a copy of the 2021 Birch Scroll® magazine. If you are not a member and would like to join the ABSF or would like to purchase a copy of the 2021 Birch Scroll results issue, you may pre-order a copy during your race registration process. As part of ongoing Birkie Green initiatives, all registered participants will receive a digital copy of the 2021 Birch Scroll magazine.
Fat Bike Expo & Bib Pick Up
There will be no Fat Bike Expo in 2021. Bib Pickup information will be available soon.
Both races and the Tour will start and finish at the American Birkebeiner Trailhead in Cable, WI.
No aid stations will be available on-course in 2021. Please carry your own hydration and energy. GU and Clif bars will be given at bib pickup.
Cut off time is 2pm for all events.
The Big Fat 47K course will ride out on the Birkie Classic Trail after the Powerlines and return on the Birkie Skate Trail to the Powerlines where it will come into the finish on the Birkie Classic Trail and Kortelopet In trail to the new Birkie Finish Stadium. The Half Fat 21K course will ride out the Birkie Classic Trail after the Powerlines to Timber Trail where it will enter the Half Fat only course. The Fun Fat 10K Tour will ride on a mix of Birkie Classic Trail, smaller ski trails, and the Half Fat course before finishing the same way as the Big Fat 47K and Half Fat 21K races.
Interactive Course Map
Experience the race again or for the first time! Roll over the epic hills on the legendary Birkie Trail, witness the race rollout, ride along with the pace cameras, check out the Half Fat 21K and Big Fat 47K courses, and feel the rush as you virtually ride the Fat Bike Birkie. This interactive map experience has it all!
The race course will be ridden clockwise starting with the Birkie Classic Trail and finishing on the Birkie Skate Trail!
Pre-Riding the Course — When & Where
The Fat Bike Birkie Race Courses will be groomed and marked for pre-riding on Friday, March 12 from 10:00 am to 3:00 pm. Please follow signs carefully.
Please note that riding bikes on the Birkie Trail during the winter is only allowed on the days designated for the Fat Bike Birkie event. However, winter bike riding can be accessed from many of the trailheads utilizing the Chequamegon Area Mountain Bike Association trail system. Trail conditions can be found on the CAMBA Winter FAT BIKE page.
Riders will be assigned to multiple start gates based on the last 3 year’s of Fat Bike Birkie results for all races. Gate qualification times will be available in January. Gate sizes will allow for a physically distanced start.
Full Fat Start Gates:
- 9:00 am start
- 50 riders/5 minutes
- Based on finish times of past 3 Full Fat or Half Fat races
- will be assinged in early March
Half Fat Start Gates:
- 10:00 am start
- 50 riders/5 minutes
- Self seeded based on expected finish time- If you hope to be the Half Fat champion, please choose the 10 am start time. If you did not choose a start time during registration, you will be sent an email with information.
Fun Fat Tour:
- 11:00 am start
- 15 minute start window for a relaxed and physically distanced start
The Big Fat (47K) race will feature 9 start gates of 50 riders. Riders will be placed in one of these gates based on their best finish time from the previous 3 Big Fat or Half Fat (21K) races. Riders without a result in the past 3 Big Fat or Half Fat races will be assigned to Gates 7, 8, and 9.
2021 Big Fat Gate Assignments based on BIG FAT results
|Start Time||Big Fat Gate||2020 Big Fat Finish Time||2019 Big Fat Finish Time||2018 Big Fat Finish Time|
|9:00 AM||Gate 1||1:41:10 to 1:56:20||1:46:27 to 2:02:25||1:48:11 to 2:04:25|
|9:05 AM||Gate 2||1:56:21 to 2:08:28||2:02:26 to 2:15:11||2:04:26 to 2:17:24|
|9:10 AM||Gate 3||2:08:29 to 2:22:38||2:15:12 to 2:30:06||2:17:25 to 2:32:32|
|9:15 AM||Gate 4||2:22:39 to 2:35:47||2:30:07 to 2:43:56||2:32:33 to 2:46:36|
|9:20 AM||Gate 5||2:35:48 to 2:56:01||2:43:57 to 3:05:13||2:46:37 to 3:08:15|
|9:25 AM||Gate 6||2:57:01 +||3:05:14 +||3:08:16 +|
|9:30 AM||Gate 7||NEW PARTICIPANTS & PARTICIPANTS WITH NO RESULTS FOR LAST 3 YEARS|
|9:35 AM||Gate 8||NEW PARTICIPANTS & PARTICIPANTS WITH NO RESULTS FOR LAST 3 YEARS|
|9:40 AM||Gate 9||NEW PARTICIPANTS & PARTICIPANTS WITH NO RESULTS FOR LAST 3 YEARS|
2021 Big Fat Gate Assignments based on Half Fat results
|Big Fat Gate||2020 Half Fat Finish Time||2019 Half Fat Finish Time||2018 Half Fat Finish Time|
|Gate 1||ACHIEVED WITH BIG FAT RESULTS ONLY|
|Gate 2||49:18 to 56:41||53:58 to 1:02:04||55:48 to 1:04:10|
|Gate 3||56:42 to 1:02:36||1:02:05 to 1:08:32||1:04:11 to 1:10:52|
|Gate 4||1:02:37 to 1:09:30||1:08:33 to 1:16:06||1:10:53 to 1:18:41|
|Gate 5||1:09:31 to 1:15:55||1:16:06 to 1:23:07||1:18:42 to 1:25:56|
|Gate 6||1:15:56 +||1:23:08 +||1:25:57 +|
|Gate 7||NEW PARTICIPANTS & PARTICIPANTS WITH NO RESULTS FOR LAST 3 YEARS|
|Gate 8||NEW PARTICIPANTS & PARTICIPANTS WITH NO RESULTS FOR LAST 3 YEARS|
|Gate 9||NEW PARTICIPANTS & PARTICIPANTS WITH NO RESULTS FOR LAST 3 YEARS|
Elite riders may request to be placed in Gate 1 at any time by sending a request and credentials to firstname.lastname@example.org. Riders will be placed on a wait list and notified of placement in February.
Want to get involved, see this event up close and personal, and be part of what makes Birkie events great? We’d love to hear from you! Contact the Birkie at 715-634-5025 x:2,1 or click here for available shifts. There is no obligation — we’re happy to answer your questions. Contact us today!
Please contact us with any questions at email@example.com or 715-634-5025.