Become a Birkie Volunteer
Want to be a Birkie Insider?
If you answered an emphatic YES!, you’ll want to be among the 4100+ volunteers who work behind the scenes to help make Birkie events happen all year-round. Choose your event and shift from the volunteer links below. As a Birkie Insider, you’ll be among fellow volunteers invited to the post-Birkie Volunteer Party in February.
“The next time you apply a set of those Birkie stickers to your skis, remember all the people who join in to make this event possible. Someday, you may be watching from the sidelines. Only then do you realize how lucky we skiers are to have those volunteers standing by to help us in time of need.” – Bob Rude, Birkie Skier & Volunteer, Rhode Island
Register To Be a Birkie Volunteer! Year-Round Opportunities*!
Click on the link below for available shifts, per event:
- Birkie Trail Work – Seasonal
- Tony Wise Museum of the American Birkebeiner Docent
- Epic Bike Fest Volunteering – June 4-5, 2022
- Lumberjack Run 5K Volunteering – July 30, 2022
- Birkie Trail Run Volunteering – September 23-24, 2022
- Telemark Ascent Volunteering – October 8, 2022
- Campaign for Sustainable Telemark Assistance – Varies
- Turkey Birkie Volunteering – November 26-28, 2021
- Gitchi Gami Games – December 10-12, 2021
- Hayward Nordic Kids Coaching – January – March, 2022
- BirkieTour Volunteering – January 15, 2022
- Seeley Hills Classic Volunteering – January 29, 2022
- Birkie Office Volunteer – February 14 – 28, 2022
- Open Track Events – Wednesday, February 23, 2022
- Birkie Week Events – Thursday, February 24, 2022
- Kortelopet/Prince Haakon/Para Birkie Events – Friday, February 25, 2022
- American Birkebeiner – Saturday, February 26, 2022
- Fat Bike Birkie Volunteering – March 12, 2022
- Birkie Trail Ambassador – Seasonal (December 4 – January 8)
Have Questions? Call 715-634-5025 or email Ronda Tworek, Director of Volunteers & Membership Services at: firstname.lastname@example.org *Volunteer shifts typically open 3 months before any given event. As these are not ‘typical’ times, Volunteer shifts are limited per event, with many safety protocols in place. All volunteers must agree to a COVID-19 Waiver, and abide by all CDC & ABSF guidelines in-place, to Volunteer for Birkie events.
If you are part of a non-profit group in need of fundraising for trips or group supplies, please call or email Ronda at the Birkie Office to see how we can help each other!
Reasons to Volunteer!
- You’re tired of staying inside!
- Everyone you know talks about helping at Birkie events and you haven’t yet!
- You’ve always wanted to volunteer for something!
- You really enjoy encouraging participants to reach the finish line!
- You have the chance to experience “Birkie Fever!”
- You get a nice new Volunteer Hat, Birkie Pin or a great Volunteer shirt!*
*Volunteer gift varies per event.
PLUS… Come to the Volunteer Appreciation Party!
Be Our Guest!
Volunteers are invited to join us: Sunday, February 27, 2022 – The Steakhouse & Lodge, Hayward, WI for the Volunteer Appreciation Party, presented by our year-round sponsor of Volunteers, the Hayward Area Memorial Hospital & Waters Edge. Party details and entry certificate are provided to Volunteers during the Birkie Week of Events.
Where the Volunteer of the Year will be announced and GRAND PRIZE of a FRAMED BIKE awarded!
Tusen Takk Volunteers!
While the 2019 – Tusen Takk Year of the Volunteer has ended, the support, gratitude, and celebration in honor of volunteers will not; neither will the Tusen Takk Volunteer Fund. Interested donors can support the volunteer fund into the future.
Volunteer of the Month
Any Birkie Volunteer can be nominated by another volunteer, Race Chief, or member of the community. The Volunteer of the Month program is to recognize a volunteer for their efforts and dedication in assisting the American Birkebeiner with its events, year round. If you know of a Birkie volunteer worthy of this nomination, please fill out and submit the application in the link below. One of the nominees will be recognized as the Volunteer of the Year, at the Volunteer Appreciation Party each February.
Help out at all Birkie events: Birkie Trail Run Festival, in September; Birkie Tour, in January; Birkie Week Events, in February and the Fat Bike Birkie in March! Or with Trail Work, Office Work or Museum Docent, all year-round!
- Pre-race Office Work: Mailings, filing and general office work.
- Bib Processing & Bib Pick-up: Package & Distribute skier bibs.
- Information Booth: Answer questions about the Birkie Week events.
- Food/Water/Aid Stations: Distribute water, sports drink, energy gels, and/or medical assistance to skiers along the course.
- Start and Finish Line Set-up/Tear Down: Set up/teardown fencing, scaffolding, banners, etc.
- Elite Skiers: House an athlete for the weekend or provide transportation to and from the airport.
- Gear Baggage Check: Assist with skier’s personal items at the start and finish areas.
- Finish Line Area: Assist skiers, timing, pass out medals and pins, and provide medical attention.
- Awards: Assist with distributing awards after the events.
- Parking: Directing traffic at various parking lots for participants to ride shuttle busses.
- Truck Driver: Deliver race supplies and food on the course prior to race day. Drive trucks with baggage gear race day
- Post-Race Mailings: Lost & Found items, awards, etc.
- National Ski Patrol: The National Ski Patrol provides support for skiers on the course. If you are a member please contact them to find out how you can become more involved. If you are interested in learning more about the NSP please visit their web site at www.nsp.org.