Hello Media Representative!
The 46th Slumberland American Birkebeiner and a full-schedule of fabulous festivities are fast approaching! Starting on Wednesday, February 19, 2020 and extending through Sunday, February 23, 2020, over 13,500 skiers (all events) and an estimated 35,000 spectators will gather for North America’s largest cross-country ski marathon and Nordic festivities in and around Hayward, Wisconsin. For a complete schedule of all 2020 Birkie week events and activities: Click Here
As a member of a recognized media outlet, we are eager to offer you access to our Birkie week events so you can best chronicle the Slumberland American Birkebeiner experience – from the Expo and exciting events on Thursday, to the Kortelopet & Prince Haakon on Friday, to Saturday’s International race action, to Sunday’s On-Snow Demo Day – from start to finish, there is no greater show on snow!
ABSF Media Kit 2020
Birkie Media Kit 2020
- 2020 Slumberland American Birkebeiner Champions
- 2020 Slumberland American Birkebeiner Schedule of Events
- 2020 American Birkebeiner Elite Skiers to Watch
- 2020 Participant Statistics
- Meet the 2020 Warriors & Inga Contest Winners!
- American Birkebeiner – History
- Birkie By The Numbers 2020
- Birkie Fun Facts 2020
- Birkie & Korte Champions Through 2019
- Birkie Basics – Then and Now
- The Legendary American Birkebeiner Trail
- About the American Birkebeiner Ski Foundation
- What is Birkie Fever
- Weather Impact to Race Over the Years 2020
- American Birkebeiner Ski Foundation Unveils
46th Annual Birkie Week Commemorative Poster
- ABSF Reveals Handcrafted 2020 Champion Awards for American Birkebeiner, Kortelopet & Prince Haakon Races
- Birkie Green Comes to Life at Birkie 2020
- American Birkebeiner International Bridge Fact Sheet
2020 Race/Spectator Guide & Maps
- 2020 Official Race Guide
- 2020 Visitor – Official Spectator Guide
- Birkie Adaptive Ski
- Race Day Busing & Parking
- Kortelopet Start Area
- Slumberland American Birkebeiner Start Area
- Kortelopet and Prince Haakon Race Course
- Slumberland American Birkebeiner Race Course
- Downtown Hayward – Finish, Recovery, & Celebration Zones
- Map of Greater Hayward, WI
Stock Birkie Images – For Media Use
Eligible media members must complete a media credentials application. Only media members whose primary purpose is to cover Birkie week events as a working news media outlet will be considered for media credentials. In the weeks leading up to the Birkie, the approved media member may receive emails containing additional event information. Media credentials are not required for Thursday’s events, however, credentials are required for events on Friday and Saturday. Media Credentials allow access to the general start and finish areas, as well convenient parking options.
Please apply for your media credentials no later than February 9, 2020, in order to have them mailed to you in advance of the event (see details below). After that time, online media credential registration will remain open, however, credentials will need to be picked up at the Birkie office in Hayward (Tuesday through Saturday, February 18 – 22, 2020).
Along with your media credentials and based on your coverage plans, you may receive a parking pass for the American Birkebeiner and Kortelopet start areas. There is no parking available at the start of the Prince Haakon race. As always, shuttle buses are available to transport you to the start and back to the parking lot.
Please read the following before completing your Media Credential application.
- Every media member must register individually! Each attending member of the media MUST REGISTER separately in order to secure unique media credentials. You cannot register as a group. However, media members from the same organization will have their shared parking passes and credentials mailed in one packet (if applications are received by 2.9.20).
- What about along the Trail? Media passes are not required for unrestricted access points along the race course.
- What about my satellite truck? If your organization plans to use a TV production/satellite truck for your Birkie event coverage, please email firstname.lastname@example.org. We will be in contact with instructions for safe and legal truck placement prior to the event. All requests are required by February 14, 2020.
- Where can’t I go? For the safety of participants and volunteers, absolutely no interviews are allowed in the finish line area. Media members are not allowed within the fenced-off finish line area on Hayward’s Main Street, on the snow on the course at any time, nor on the International Bridge. However, a dedicated media platform will adjoin the coveted finish line area and provide opportunity for credentialed photographers and videographers to gather photos and video. Skier safety is our primary concern and the efficient management of the finisher zone is critical to an event of this size – thank you for your cooperation.
- How can I interview the winners? All post-race interviews are to be conducted at the official press conference at 12:00 pm (estimated based on finish times) on Saturday, 2.22.20, in the St. Joseph’s Parish Center located directly across the street from St. Joseph’s Catholic Church. The St. Joseph’s Parish Center is located between 4th & 5th Streets on Dakota Avenue – please watch for signs. Absolutely no interviews are allowed in the finish line area. Volunteer escorts will bring the elite skiers into the press conference immediately following the podium awards ceremony (Champion’s Stage, Celebration Plaza). Media credentials are required to access the press conference.
- What else do I need to provide? If you are a freelance writer/photographer you will need to provide a letter from the media outlet you are representing, complete with their contact information. Please email this information to email@example.com with the subject line: Media Credentials
- What credentials will I receive & how do I use them? Your Birkie Media Credentials and loaned Birkie media vest are required to be worn by all attending media at all times. The Birkie media vest must be returned to the Birkie after the race! Thank you for your compliance and support of the ABSF!
- How do I secure race results? Race results for the Prince Haakon, Kortelopet, and American Birkebeiner races will be posted on our website as soon as possible on race day.
We love to hear what you have to say about the Birkie! Please send a copy of your published article or email a link to an online publication to firstname.lastname@example.org following the event. Please use the hashtag #Birkie2020 or #BirkieFever in your social media posts using: American Birkebeiner (Facebook), @americanbirkebeiner (Instagram) and @birkie (Twitter). We appreciate your interest in the Slumberland American Birkebeiner!
Mail: ABSF, Attn: Media, P.O. Box 911, Hayward, WI, 54843
Should you have any questions, please feel free to contact us at email@example.com or 715-634-5025. We look forward to seeing you in February! #BirkieFever
Birkie Media Center
The Birkie Media Center is the place you can call home on Friday, 2.21.20, and Saturday, 2.22.20. If you need to take a break, warm up, charge your equipment, grab a cup of coffee, a cookie, or simply need a quiet work space. The Birkie Media Center will be located at the Veterans Center, 10534 Main Street, at the northeast corner of the American Birkebeiner International Bridge in Hayward. WiFi will be available for media use.
- Friday, February 21: from 10:00 a.m. to 3:00 p.m.
- Saturday, February 22: from 7:00 a.m. to 4:00 p.m.
On Wednesday, Thursday, and Sunday, please visit one of our local coffee shops for a cozy seat, a warm cup of coffee, and WiFi. Hayward Coffee Company is located on Main Street, Backroads Coffee is on Dakota Avenue (one block off of Main Street), and Caribou Coffee is located in Marketplace Foods at the East end of Main Street.
2020 Videos & Photography
Required Photo Credit: © American Birkebeiner Ski Foundation 2020
For Media Use Only. The links below are password protected. Email firstname.lastname@example.org for password.
Please use photo credit: ©2020 American Birkebeiner Ski Foundation
- 2020 Women’s 50K Slumberland American Birkebeiner Skate Champion image numbers
- #129, 130, 131, 132, 134, 135, 135, 138, 144 through 153, 156, 157, 158, 160, 167, 169 through 182
- 2020 Men’s 50K Slumberland American Birkebeiner Skate Champion image numbers
- #188, 192 through 195, 200, 201, 204 through 209, 211, 213 through 228, 230 through 233
- 2020 Women’s 55K Slumberland American Birkebeiner Classic Champion image numbers:
- #279 – #283
- 2020 Men’s 55k Slumberland American Birkebeiner Classic Champion image numbers:
- No images available
Birkie Week Event Photo Highlights
What a week! Relive the excitement of Birkie week with this gallery of event photos.
Available for download for media use. Please email email@example.com for the password.