Barnebirkie Youth Ski Tour
Thursday, February 23, 2023 • Downtown Hayward
2023 Barnebirkie Registration will open in early fall 2022!
Non-Competitive Ski Tour for Youth Ages 3 to 13 Years Old
This is where Birkie Dreams begin! Imagine nearly 1000 kids skiing on Main Street to the iconic finish line of the American Birkebeiner! Kids can choose to ski either a 1/2 km, 1 km or 3 km course.
If you are looking for a competitive experience for youth, consider participating in the Junior Birkie race which will be held on the same course following the Barnebirkie.
The first 900 participants at bib pickup will receive a Barnebirkie hat!
Distances & Start Times
The Barnebirkie will start behind the Hayward Intermediate and Primary Schools at 11:30am and finish on Main St. at the American Birkebeiner finish line
|Wave||Start Time||Distance||Start Location||Recommend Age|
|Purple||11:30 am||500 m (0.3 miles)||Behind the Hayward Intermediate and Primary Schools||3 to 8; beginning skier|
|Red||11:35 am||3 km (1.9 miles)||Behind the Hayward Intermediate and Primary Schools||8 to 13; Intermediate to Advanced
|Green||11:40 am||1 km (0.6 miles)||Behind the Hayward Intermediate and Primary Schools||5 to 10; Intermediate to Advanced|
Registration will stay open on-line until the event starts. There will be no on-site registration.
Is your school group interested in skiing the Barnebirkie? Great! Please call the Birkie Office at 715-634-5025 or email email@example.com to find out how to register your group. School group registration forms must be received at the Birkebeiner office by Thursday, February 16, 2023.
Birkie Junior Gear Bag, $35 – available for pre-order during registration!
- Available for a special price during Junior Birkie & Barnebirkie registration
- Produced exclusively for the Birkie by SWIX
- Participants purchasing the Jr. Gear bag will receive the bag at Bib pick-up in February
- The ideal bag for youth’s sports and ski gear, both wet and dry; or everyday school use
- Dimensions: 12″ wide x 9″ deep x 15″ high
- Reinforced #8 zippers
- Tarpaulin panel on the bottom section for waterproofing and greater durability
- Bottom wet-sealed compartment for Nordic Boot storage
- Sports Shield zipped compartment for glasses or visor, with brushed lining to prevent lens scratches and quick, easy access
- Large top-load zippered compartment for warm-up clothing, extra hats, and gloves
- Main pack body is made from tough 600D PVC backed polyester
- Padded EVA foam back offers cushioning and breathability over pressure points, and padded shoulder straps
- 2 – side mesh pockets for water bottles
- This bag may not be used at gear bag drop on race day (Birkie, Korte or Prince Haakon)
Barne Skiers registering for the 3 km tour will be in the Red Wave.
Barne Skiers registering for the 1 km tour will be in the Green Wave.
Barne Skiers registering for the 500 m tour will be in the Purple Wave.
Bib Pick Up
Bib pick-up will be from 9:30 a.m. to 11:30 a.m in the Recovery Zone tent at 5th Street and Wisconsin Avenue. Limited parking is found in the Downtown Area. We recommend parking in the Spectator Parking Lot on Hwy B and utilizing the continuous bus service from the Spectator Lot to the Registration/Start Area and from the Celebration Zone to the Spectator Lot.
Parent & Spectator Etiquette
Please note the following important information regarding the safety of the children and the integrity of the course:
- Any adult accompanying Barne skiers on the ski course must be on skis. Otherwise, adults must stay off the groomed ski course.
- Meet your little skier directly outside of the Finish Line. Volunteers will be on hand to reunite skiers and family members. Please stay out of the direct finish line- some skiers are coming in fast!
- NO PETS PLEASE.
Venue & Course Map
The Barnebirkie starts behind the Hayward Intermediate and Primary schools and finishes at the American Birkebeiner Finish Line on Main Street. Please help ease the traffic congestion by utilizing the designated spectator parking on Hwy B. Buses will run continuously from 9:30 am to 4:30 pm from the Spectator Lot to the Registration Bus Stop, and from the Registration Bus Stop and the Celebration Zone Bus Stop to the Spectator Lot. Parking restrictions are in place on most of the downtown area streets.
Please note that none of the Barnebirkie distances go over the American Birkebeiner International Bridge.
Swiss Miss hot chocolate and homemade cookies courtesy of the Sons of Norway await every participant in the Celebration Tent near the finish area.
All children will receive a Barnebirkie medal, ski bib, and the first 900 children to pick up their bib will receive a ski hat.
Save the Date
Future Birkie Week Dates:
2023: February 23 – 25