Save the Date: Thursday, February 22, 2024, 1pm
The Junior Birkie is for Junior skiers that are ready to race!
The event starts behind the Hayward Intermediate and Primary Schools and finishes at the American Birkebeiner Finish Line on Main Street in Hayward. There are two race distances for the different Junior Birkie age groups, see table below.
Team Sprint Relays
The Junior Birkie Team Sprint Relays will start and finish in downtown Hayward on the American Birkebeiner Finish Line!
|June 20 thru Feb 1||Feb 2 thru Feb 20||Feb 21 (7PM)|
|Relay Team Participant||$15||$15||$15|
|Individual & Relay COMBO||$35||$37||$40|
Individual & Team Sprint Relay registration is online only, closing at 6:59 p.m. on Wednesday, February 21, 2024. No race day registration!
Birkie Junior Gear Bag ($50) – available for pre-order during registration!
- Available for a special price during Junior Birkie & Barnebirkie registration
- Produced exclusively for the Birkie by SWIX
- Participants purchasing the Jr. Gear bag will receive the bag at Bib pick-up in February
- If you can not pick up your pre-purchased Junior Birkie Gear Bag at the Jr. Birkie, you may pick it up in the Birkie Office, or pay to have it shipped after the event. The Deadline to pick up or request shipping is MARCH 31, 2024.
- The ideal bag for your youth’s sports and ski gear, both wet and dry; or everyday school adventures
- Dimensions: 12″ wide x 9″ deep x 15″ high
- Reinforced #8 zippers
- Tarpaulin panel on the bottom section for waterproofing and greater durability
- Bottom wet-sealed compartment for Nordic Boot storage
- Sports Shield zipped compartment for glasses or visor, with brushed lining to prevent lens scratches and quick, easy access
- Large top-load zippered compartment for warm-up clothing, extra hats, and gloves
- Main pack body is made from tough 600D PVC backed polyester
- Padded EVA foam back offers cushioning and breathability over pressure points, and padded shoulder straps
- 2 – side mesh pockets for water bottles
- This bag may not be used at gear bag drop on race day (Birkie, Korte or Prince Haakon)
- Junior Gear Bag $50
As part of the CXC Youth Cup, no fluorocarbon waxes are allowed; athletes may only use fluoro-free glide and kick wax.
Individual Mass Start Races & Times
Individual Age Groups
For the individual races, skiers are assigned an age group based on their year of birth (see table below). All races are freestyle technique – competitors may use skate or classic technique, however, there may not be classic tracks set on the courses. U8 and U10 age groups will ski 1.5 km, U12 and U14 will ski 3 km.
|Year of Birth||Category|
Individual Race Schedule
|Time||Category||Individual Mass Start Distance|
|1:00 pm||U10 Girls||1.5 km|
|1:10 pm||U8 Girls||1.5 km|
|1:20 pm||U10 Boys||1.5 km|
|1:30 pm||U8 Boys||1.5 km|
|1:40 pm||U12 Girls||3 km|
|1:55 pm||U12 Boys||3 km|
|2:05 pm||U14 Girls||3 km|
|2:15 pm||U14 Boys||3 km|
Team Sprint Relay Races
Team Sprint Relay
- ALL teams will consist of 2 skiers.
- Each skier will ski 2 non-consecutive legs of the relay, 4 laps total.
- Teams may be mixed gender, male, or female. First place awards will be given for each category.
- A team must consist of 2 skiers in the same age group. Age groups for the relay are based on grade as follows:
- Grades 1 – 3 will ski on a 300 meter course.
- Grades 4 – 5 will ski on a 500 meter course.
- Grades 6 – 8 will ski on a 500 meter course.
- Grades 9 – 12 will ski on an 800 meter course.
- We strongly encourage teams to be made of athletes in the same grade range, however, if not possible, the team will ski in the oldest grade range.
- A participant without a team may still register and can be matched with another skier. Select ‘Create a New Team’ and then ‘I need a partner’ during the registration process.
- Races are not timed, first across the line for each category are the winners.
Team Sprint Relay Race Schedule
Team sprint relays will begin at 3:30pm after the Individual races on Main Street. Bib pick-up is at 3pm near the start/finish line. Relay races will start with Grades 1-3 and then move to Grades 4-5, 6-8, 9-12.
Bib Pick Up
Thursday, February 22 from 9:30 a.m. to 1:30 p.m. at the registration tent in the Recovery Zone on 4th and Wisconsin Ave. Relay team bib pickup is at the start line on Main Street.
Venue and Course Map
Registration details are subject to change.
The Junior Birkie will start behind the Hayward Primary and Intermediate Schools. Both 1.5k & 3k courses will travel through the golf course and head down Main Street. The 1.5K course will ski down Main Street, turn at the base of the bridge (no bridge crossing), and head to the Finish Line. The 3K course will continue down main street, travel over the American Birkebeiner International Bridge, turn around, cross the bridge again and ski back up Main Street. The Junior Birkie finishes at the American Birkebeiner Finish Line on Main Street.
Team Relay Sprint Races
Team Relay Sprint Races will all take place on Main Street. The start and finish are at the American Birkebeiner Finish Line. The Team Sprint Race course will not utilize the American Birkebeiner International Bridge. Teams will consist of 2 racers in the categories found above. The top team in each category will be awarded a first place award.
There will be a continuous shuttle service between the Spectator Parking Lots on Hwy B, Bib pick-up near the Intermediate School and Start Area, and the Celebration Plaza near the Finish line and back to the Spectator Lot. Please help ease the traffic congestion by utilizing the designated parking lots and the shuttles.
Refreshments will be available in the Celebration Plaza.
Each age group race will have an award ceremony immediately following it at the Champion’s Stage in the Celebration Plaza.
The top three boys and girls for each age group will be awarded a prize.
The first relay teams in each age division will be awarded a prize.
All individual finishers will receive a Junior Birkie medal.
CXC Youth Cup
The Junior Birkie Individual Race is part of the SWIX CXC Youth Cup for U12 and U14 age categories. Licensed skiers are seeded and earn points in the CXC Youth Cup overall standings. For information about the CXC Youth Cup visit: http://cxcskiing.org/pages/events/cxc-youth-cup.html
Presenting Sponsors of the Junior Birkie
Gold Circle Elite
Gold Level Sponsors of the Major Birkie Events Year-Round