Thursday, February 25, 2021
Individual Race and Team Sprint Relay for Youth ages 6 years to High School
The Junior Birkie, presented by Rossignol, is for Junior skiers that are ready to race! The event starts behind the Hayward Intermediate and Primary Schools and finishes at the American Birkebeiner Finish Line on Main Street in Hayward. There are two race distances for the different Junior Birkie age groups. The first 350 participants will get a Junior Birkie hat.
The Junior Birkie Team Sprint Relays will start and finish in downtown Hayward on the American Birkebeiner Finish Line!
2021 Junior Birkie Registration is Now Open!
|Jun 9 thru Jan 28||Jan 29 thru Feb 23||Feb 24 and Feb 25 (7PM)|
|Relay Team Participant||$15||$15||$15|
|Individual & Relay COMBO||$30||$32||$35|
Individual & Team Sprint Relay registration is online only, closing at 6:59 p.m. on Wednesday, February 24, 2020. No race day registration!
Birkie Junior Gear Bag – While Supplies Last!
- Available for a special price during Junior Birkie & Barnebirkie registration
- Produced exclusively for the Birkie by SWIX
- $30 at registration, limited quantities available
- Participants purchasing the Jr. Gear bag will receive the bag at Bib pick-up in February
- The ideal bag for your youth’s sports and ski gear, both wet and dry; or everyday school adventures
- Dimensions: 12″ wide x 9″ deep x 15″ high
- Reinforced #8 zippers
- Tarpaulin panel on the bottom section for waterproofing and greater durability
- Bottom wet-sealed compartment for Nordic Boot storage
- Sports Shield zipped compartment for glasses or visor, with brushed lining to prevent lens scratches and quick, easy access
- Large top-load zippered compartment for warm-up clothing, extra hats, and gloves
- Main pack body is made from tough 600D PVC backed polyester
- Padded EVA foam back offers cushioning and breathability over pressure points, and padded shoulder straps
- 2 – side mesh pockets for water bottles
- This bag may not be used at gear bag drop on race day (Birkie, Korte or Prince Haakon)
Individual Mass Start Races
Individual Mass Start Races
For the individual races, skiers are assigned an age group based on their year of birth (see table below). All races are freestyle technique – competitors may use skate or classic technique, however, there will not be any classic tracks set on the courses. U8 and U10 age groups will ski 1.5 km, U12 and U14 will ski 3.0 km.
|Year of Birth||Category|
Individual Race Schedule
|Time||Category||Individual Mass Start Distance|
|1:30 pm||U8 & U10 Boys||1.5 km|
|1:40 pm||U8 & U10 Girls||1.5 km|
|1:50 pm||U12 Boys||3 km|
|2:00 pm||U12 Girls||3 km|
|2:10 pm||U14 Boys||3 km|
|2:20 pm||U14 Girls||3 km|
Team Sprint Relay Races
Team Sprint Relay (NEW CHANGES in 2021!)
- ALL teams will consist of 2 skiers.
- Each skier will ski 2 non-consecutive legs of the relay, 4 laps total.
- Teams may be mixed gender, male, or female. There is no gender distinction between teams.
- A team must consist of 2 skiers in the same age group. Age groups for the relay are based on grade as follows:
- Grades 1 – 3 will ski on a 300 meter course.
- Grades 4 – 5 will ski on a 500 meter course.
- Grades 6 – 8 will ski on a 500 meter course.
- Grades 9 – 12 will ski on an 800 meter course.
- We strongly encourage teams to be made of athletes in the same grade range, however, if not possible, the team will ski in the oldest grade range.
- A participant without a team may still register and can be matched with another team. Enter “Team Needed” during the registration process.
- Costumes are fun and strongly encouraged, but there will be no official costume contest in 2021.
Team Sprint Relay Race Schedule
Team sprint relays will begin at 3pm on Main Street. A detailed schedule will be available closer to the event date.
Bib Pick Up
Thursday, February 25 from 9:30 a.m. to 3:00 p.m. at the registration tent in the Recovery Zone on 4th and Wisconsin Ave.
Venue and Course Map
The Junior Birkie will start behind the Hayward Primary and Intermediate Schools. The 1.5k course will travel through the adjacent golf course and head down Main Street. The 3K course will travel over the American Birkebeiner International Bridge, turn around, cross the bridge again and ski back up Main Street. The 1K course will travel through the golf course and finish on Main Street (no bridge crossing). The Junior Birkie finishes at the American Birkebeiner Finish Line on Main Street. There will be a continuous shuttle service between the Spectator Parking Lots on Hwy B, Bib pick-up near the Intermediate School and Start Area, and the Celebration Plaza near the Finish line and back to the Spectator Lot. Please help ease the traffic congestion by utilizing the designated parking lots and the shuttles.
Team Relay Sprint Races will all take place on Main Street. The start and finish will all happen at the American Birkebeiner Finish Line. The Team Sprint Race course will not utilize the American Birkebeiner International Bridge.
Refreshments will be available in the Celebration Plaza.
Each age group race will have an award ceremony immediately following it at the Champion’s Stage in the Celebration Plaza.
The top three boys and girls for each age group will be awarded a prize.
The first and second place relay teams in each age group will be awarded a prize.
All finishers will receive a Junior Birkie medal.
If you cannot pick up your award on Race Day, you can click here to request that it be mailed to you for $8. All requests must be made by the end of March, 2021.
Save the Date
Future Birkie Week Dates:
2021: February 25 – 27
2022: February 24 – 26
2023: February 23 – 25