Thursday, February 24, 2022, 2pm
Registration now open!
The Junior Birkie is for Junior skiers that are ready to race!
The event starts behind the Hayward Intermediate and Primary Schools and finishes at the American Birkebeiner Finish Line on Main Street in Hayward. There are two race distances for the different Junior Birkie age groups, see table below. The first 350 participants will get a Junior Birkie hat.
Team Sprint Relays
The Junior Birkie Team Sprint Relays will start and finish in downtown Hayward on the American Birkebeiner Finish Line!
|Sep 8 thru Jan 27||Jan 28 thru Feb 22||Feb 23 (7PM)|
|Relay Team Participant||$15||$15||$15|
|Individual & Relay COMBO||$30||$32||$35|
Individual & Team Sprint Relay registration is online only, closing at 6:59 p.m. on Wednesday, February 23, 2022. No race day registration!
Birkie Junior Gear Bag ($35) – available for pre-order during registration!
- Available for a special price during Junior Birkie & Barnebirkie registration
- Produced exclusively for the Birkie by SWIX
- Participants purchasing the Jr. Gear bag will receive the bag at Bib pick-up in February
- The ideal bag for your youth’s sports and ski gear, both wet and dry; or everyday school adventures
- Dimensions: 12″ wide x 9″ deep x 15″ high
- Reinforced #8 zippers
- Tarpaulin panel on the bottom section for waterproofing and greater durability
- Bottom wet-sealed compartment for Nordic Boot storage
- Sports Shield zipped compartment for glasses or visor, with brushed lining to prevent lens scratches and quick, easy access
- Large top-load zippered compartment for warm-up clothing, extra hats, and gloves
- Main pack body is made from tough 600D PVC backed polyester
- Padded EVA foam back offers cushioning and breathability over pressure points, and padded shoulder straps
- 2 – side mesh pockets for water bottles
- This bag may not be used at gear bag drop on race day (Birkie, Korte or Prince Haakon)
- Junior Gear Bag $35
Individual Mass Start Races & Times
Individual Age Groups
For the individual races, skiers are assigned an age group based on their year of birth (see table below). All races are freestyle technique – competitors may use skate or classic technique, however, there may not be classic tracks set on the courses. U8 and U10 age groups will ski 1.5 km, U12 and U14 will ski 3 km.
|Year of Birth||Category|
Individual Race Schedule
These times are now final. For age categories with 2 waves, you will find out your specific start time when you get your bib.
|Time||Category||Individual Mass Start Distance|
|2:00 pm||U10 Boys||1.5 km|
|2:05 pm||U8 Boys||1.5 km|
|2:10 pm||U10 Girls||1.5 km|
|2:15 pm||U8 Girls||1.5 km|
|2:30 pm||U12 Boys - 1st Wave||3 km|
|2:35 pm||U12 Boys - 2nd Wave||3 km|
|3:00 pm||U12 Girls- 1st Wave||3 km|
|3:05 pm||U12 Girls- 2nd Wave||3 km|
|3:20 pm||U14 Boys - 1st Wave||3 km|
|3:25 pm||U14 Boys - 2nd Wave||3 km|
|3:35 pm||U14 Girls||3 km|
Team Sprint Relay Races
Team Sprint Relay (NEW CHANGES in 2022!)
- ALL teams will consist of 2 skiers.
- Each skier will ski 2 non-consecutive legs of the relay, 4 laps total.
- Teams may be mixed gender, male, or female. First place awards will be given for each category.
- A team must consist of 2 skiers in the same age group. Age groups for the relay are based on grade as follows:
- Grades 1 – 3 will ski on a 300 meter course.
- Grades 4 – 5 will ski on a 500 meter course.
- Grades 6 – 8 will ski on a 500 meter course.
- Grades 9 – 12 will ski on an 800 meter course.
- We strongly encourage teams to be made of athletes in the same grade range, however, if not possible, the team will ski in the oldest grade range.
- A participant without a team may still register and can be matched with another skier. Select ‘Create a New Team’ and then ‘I need a partner during the registration process.
- Races are not timed, first across the line for each category are the winners.
Team Sprint Relay Race Schedule
Team sprint relays will begin at 4pm on Main Street. A detailed schedule will be available closer to the event date.
Bib Pick Up
Thursday, February 24 from 9:30 a.m. to 3:00 p.m. at the registration tent in the Recovery Zone on 4th and Wisconsin Ave.
Venue and Course Map
The Junior Birkie will start behind the Hayward Primary and Intermediate Schools. Both 1.5k & 3k courses will travel through the golf course and head down Main Street. The 1.5K course will finish on Main Street (no bridge crossing). The 3K course will continue down main street, travel over the American Birkebeiner International Bridge, turn around, cross the bridge again and ski back up Main Street. The Junior Birkie finishes at the American Birkebeiner Finish Line on Main Street.
Team Relay Sprint Races
Team Relay Sprint Races will all take place on Main Street. The start and finish are at the American Birkebeiner Finish Line. The Team Sprint Race course will not utilize the American Birkebeiner International Bridge. Teams will consist of 2 racers in the categories found above. The top team in each category will be awarded a first place award.
There will be a continuous shuttle service between the Spectator Parking Lots on Hwy B, Bib pick-up near the Intermediate School and Start Area, and the Celebration Plaza near the Finish line and back to the Spectator Lot. Please help ease the traffic congestion by utilizing the designated parking lots and the shuttles.
Refreshments will be available in the Celebration Plaza.
Each age group race will have an award ceremony immediately following it at the Champion’s Stage in the Celebration Plaza.
If you cannot pick up your award on Race Day, you can click here to request that it be mailed to you for $8. All requests must be made by the end of March, 2022.
The top three boys and girls for each age group will be awarded a prize.
The first relay teams in each age group will be awarded a prize.
All individual finishers will receive a Junior Birkie medal.
Results & Awards
Save the Date
Future Birkie Week Dates:
2023: February 22 – 26