Friday, February 26, 2021, 2pm • Korte Stadium, OO
Junior Birkie 2021 – a different location and more precautions, but still a fun, outdoor event for kids!
Individual Race for Youth ages 6 years to Middle School
The Junior Birkie, presented by Rossignol, is for Junior skiers that are ready to race!
Precautions and new protocols will be in place for the event in 2021. Drive-up bib pickup, physically distanced start, and few to no touchpoints are a few precautions that will be in place. A COVID-19 plan will be available as we get closer to the event.
|Jun 9 thru Jan 28||Jan 29 thru Feb 23||Feb 24 (7PM)|
Registration will close at 6:59 p.m. on Wednesday, February 24, 2021. No race day registration!
There is no virtual option for the Junior Birkie.
The first 350 kids registered will receive a Junior Birkie hat!
Birkie Junior Gear Bag – While Supplies Last!
- Available for a special price during Junior Birkie & Barnebirkie registration
- Produced exclusively for the Birkie by SWIX
- $30 at registration, limited quantities available
- Participants purchasing the Jr. Gear bag will receive the bag at Bib pick-up in February
- The ideal bag for your youth’s sports and ski gear, both wet and dry; or everyday school adventures
- Dimensions: 12″ wide x 9″ deep x 15″ high
- Reinforced #8 zippers
- Tarpaulin panel on the bottom section for waterproofing and greater durability
- Bottom wet-sealed compartment for Nordic Boot storage
- Sports Shield zipped compartment for glasses or visor, with brushed lining to prevent lens scratches and quick, easy access
- Large top-load zippered compartment for warm-up clothing, extra hats, and gloves
- Main pack body is made from tough 600D PVC backed polyester
- Padded EVA foam back offers cushioning and breathability over pressure points, and padded shoulder straps
- 2 – side mesh pockets for water bottles
- This bag may not be used at gear bag drop on race day (Birkie, Korte or Prince Haakon)
Individual Mass Start Races
Individual Mass Start Races
For the individual races, skiers are assigned an age group based on their year of birth (see table below). All races are freestyle technique – competitors may use skate or classic technique, however, there may not be classic tracks set on the courses. U8 and U10 age groups will ski 1.5 km, U12 and U14 will ski 3.0 km. The start area will be marked with physically distanced starting points
|Year of Birth||Category|
Individual Race Schedule
|Time||Category||Individual Mass Start Distance|
|2:00 pm||U8 & U10 Boys||1.5 km|
|2:10 pm||U8 & U10 Girls||1.5 km|
|2:30 pm||U12 Boys||3 km|
|2:40 pm||U12 Girls||3 km|
|3:00 pm||U14 Boys||3 km|
|3:10 pm||U14 Girls||3 km|
Times are subject to change based on participant numbers and covid19 best practices.
Bib Pick Up
Drive-up bib pick up will be right as you arrive at the race site on race day. All bibs, hats, and Birkie Junior Gear Bags (if ordered during registration) will be handed out at bib pick up. There is no option to have bibs and hats mailed to you prior to the race.
If you ordered a Birkie Junior Gear Bag and are no longer planning to attend the event in-person and would like to request to have your Birkie Junior Gear Bag mailed to you, click here. There is no virtual option for the Junior Birkie.
Venue and Course Map
The Junior Birkie will start and finish at the Kortelopet Stadium at the Hwy OO Trailhead (south side). All parking will be on the south side of OO- please do not park on the north side of the road, that is reserved for medical, staff, and volunteers at the OO aid station. At this time, spectators are not allowed at the event. Please plan on only one adult/skier attending the event.
Stay tuned for more information on the specific course.
Save the Date
Future Birkie Week Dates:
2022: February 24 – 26
2023: February 23 – 25