5 Areas of Focus to Reduce Our Footprint
“The biggest risk to the planet is the belief that someone else will save it.”
Robert Swan, Climate Activist
1) Reducing Use of Unrecycled Materials
- Iconic Birkie week bibs will be made from 100% recycled plastic
- Material is made in the USA, sewn into bibs at Borah in Lacrosse, Wi.
- Each bib = approx. 5.5 plastic water bottles
- 65,000+ water bottles per year kept out of landfills.
- Collection bins at changing tent, offer future recycling.
2) Increase our reliance on renewable energy
- Solar arrays installed at the Birkie office and Samuel C. Johnson Family Outdoor Center, producing more than 100% of annual electricity needs for the locations.
- Developing long term plan for solar installations at other locations.
- 100% of electricity sourced from renewable energy by 2026.
3) Reduce and Offset Our Harmful Carbon Production
- Offset carbon produced by our fossil fuel burn during Birkie week 2022.
- Grooming, Snow placement and removal, Bussing, Propane consumption, Nonrenewable Electricity consumption
- Through ClimeCo applied to Crow Lake Wind Farm, So. Dakota.
- We invite YOU to offset Birkie week travel to the Crow Lake Wind Farm in SD..
- Carbon Neutral goal – 2026.
4) Reduce Waste, Choose Positive Environmental Alternative
- Electric Car chargers at most popular trailheads.
- Over 10,000 reusable Birkie gear bags in use, have kept 20,000 plastic bags out of landfills.
- Solar lighting at our aid stations.
- All race guides, maps, Birch Scroll etc… either switching completely to digital or digital option encouraged.
- Birkie Store moving to recycled material items wherever possible.
5) Build Sustainable Structures
- New Base Camp at Mt. Telemark Village planned to be LEED Certified building.
- Using materials sourced from our property whenever we can in new structures.
- Re-using materials from old Telemark Lodge throughout Birkie properties.
Future Sustainability Goals
100% Renewable Energy
Carbon Neutral Organization
Zero Landfill Organization
Only Eco-Friendly Products Offered For Sale or Event Swag