“The biggest risk to the planet is the belief that someone else will save it.”
Robert Swan, Climate Activist
5 Areas of Focus to Reduce Our Footprint
1) Reducing Use of Unrecycled Materials
- Iconic Birkie week bibs will be made from 100% recycled plastic
- Material is made in the USA, sewn into bibs at Borah in Lacrosse, Wi.
- Each bib = approx. 5.5 plastic water bottles
- 65,000+ water bottles per year kept out of landfills.
- Collection bins at changing tent, offer future recycling.
2) Increase our reliance on renewable energy
- Solar arrays installed at the Birkie office and OO Johnson Center, producing more than 100% of annual electricity needs for the locations.
- Developing long term plan for solar installations at other locations.
- 100% of electricity sourced from renewable energy by 2026.
3) Reduce and Offset Our Harmful Carbon Production
- Offset carbon produced by our fossil fuel burn during Birkie week 2022.
- Grooming, Snow placement and removal, Bussing, Propane consumption, Nonrenewable Electricity consumption
- Through ClimeCo applied to Crow Lake Wind Farm, So. Dakota.
- Invite participants to offset their Birkie week travel to same renewable energy project.
- Carbon Neutral goal – 2026.
4) Reduce Waste, Choose Positive Environmental Alternative
- Electric Car chargers at most popular trailheads.
- Over 10,000 reusable Birkie gear bags in use, have kept 20,000 plastic bags out of landfills.
- Solar lighting at our aid stations.
- All race guides, maps, Birch Scroll etc… either switching completely to digital or digital option encouraged.
- Birkie Store moving to recycled material items wherever possible.
5) Build Sustainable Structures
- New Base Camp at Mt. Telemark Village planned to be LEED Certified building.
- Using materials sourced from our property whenever we can in new structures.
- Re-using materials from old Telemark Lodge throughout Birkie properties.
Future Sustainability Goals
100% Renewable Energy
Carbon Neutral Organization
Zero Landfill Organization
Only Eco-Friendly Products Offered For Sale or Event Swag