Sunday, January 31, 2021
Tour the Birkie Trail - get a preview of the 2021 Birkie Course!
The Birkie Tour is a perfect training day if you want to:
- Dial in your logistics for a longer event
- See modified Birkie aid stations in action
- Ski the classic trail from south to north
- Get a feel for the 2021 Birkie venue layout- parking, start, and finish areas
- Choose you own distance 14, 26K, and 43K course will be marked
First 500 participants receive a Birkie Tour water belt and water bottle!
Thank you for a safe and fun 2021 Birkie Tour!
Registration for 2022 will open on May 1, 2021.
Protect Your Registration!
Get reimbursed up to 100% on your registration if you can’t compete for a number of reasons. Next Wave Insurance offers Regsaver so you can insure your non-refundable registration fee in the case injury, illness, or another covered peril occurs.* Please see policy for complete list of covered perils at www.registrationsaver.com/birkie. Limitations and exclusions apply. Next Wave Insurance, CA License #: OF00755.
Changes to 2021 Event
Changes have been implemented for 2021 to provide a safe and physically distanced event. Participants are asked to be more self-sufficient with their nutritional needs, but trail ambassadors will be on course and at aid stations to make sure you have a safe and enjoyable event.
- Participants may begin anytime between 8am-11am
- Hydration will be available on course
- Participants will be given nutrition to carry- none will be available on course
- Limited volunteers on course
- Drive-up bib pick-up
- No indoor spaces
- Take a sack lunch to go after you ski
- Ski the 2021 Birkie course and experience what the aid stations will look like
The 2021 Birkie Tour will start at the Birkie Trailhead and make a 43 km counter-clockwise loop following the Birkie Skate Trail south to Highway OO then looping back north on the Birkie Classic Trail back to the finish. Skiers have the option to turn back north at Timber Trail Aid Station, making a 14 km Tour, just south of Firetower to make 26 km Tour, or anywhere you want. *Please note! We will mark the course exactly as the 2021 American Birkebeiner, Kortelopet, and Prince Haakon races will be marked.
Drive-up bib pickup will occur at the Birkie trailhead from 7:30am-10:00am on Sunday, January 31. There is no onsite registration, but registration will be available online until 10am.
Start your Tour anytime between 8am-11am.
The course will be patrolled throughout the day by Birkie Trail Ambassadors. Ambassadors have a lot of Birkie Trail experience and can assist with waxing and share their knowledge of the Birkie Trails and Birkie Races. Look for the yellow Ambassador bibs.
Your Tour will be supported with 4 Aid Stations along the course- Timber Trail, Fire Tower, Boedecker, and OO. Each station will have self-serve hydration options (water and Nuun Endurance)- just like you will see at the 2021 American Birkebeiner, Kortelopet, and Prince Haakon. Bring your own hydration vessel- no cups will be available.
Aid Station Open Times:
- Timber Trail: 9:15am-2:00pm
- Fire Tower: 9:30am-1:30pm
- Boedecker: 9:45am-12-:45pm
- OO: 10:00am-12:30pm
After-Ski Snacks and Beverage
After skiing, enjoy a sack lunch from the Northern Lakes Cooperative CENEX Corner Deli and a beer from Earth Rider Brewery, the Official Beer of the Birkie! No indoor spaces are found at the venue- please enjoy your lunch bag at your vehicle or at home.
All good things must come to an end, so in order to get all the skiers and volunteers back to the finish at the Birkie Trailhead by 3:00 pm, the following cut-off times will be in place.
- Skiers heading southbound who do not make the times will be turned back north.
- Skiers heading northbound who do not make the times will be transported back to the Birkie Trailhead.
- The maximum time to finish a Tour is 7 hours.
- In order to meet the cut-off times a skier skiing the 46 km course needs to start at 9:00 am and ski 8 km per hour, including stops.
|Location||Kilometers from the Start||Time|
|Start||0 km||10:00 am|
|Boedecker Aid Station - Southbound||16.5 km||11:40 am|
|Boedecker Aid Station - Northbound||26.5 km||12:45 pm|
|Firetower Aid Station - Northbound||32 km||1:30 pm|
|Timber Trail Aid Station - Northbound||38.5 km||2:00 pm|
|Finish||43 km||3:00 pm|
Come Make a Weekend of Skiing on the Birkie Trail
We have teamed up with another legendary American ski race, the Seeley Hills Classic to have a full weekend of skiing! The Seeley Hills Classic offers 22 and 42 km race distances on the Birkie Trail starting and finishing at the Hwy OO Trailhead. More information can be found here. Click the “Register Now” button above to sign up for both events at once!