- Ski Events
- Prince Haakon 15K
Exciting, shorter ski event providing skiers an opportunity to be part of the Birkie fun!
Prince Haakon skiers will have a memorable experience skiing 15 kilometers on the beautiful Birkie Trail. Their journey will culminate with a trip up and over the International Bridge, amidst the ringing cowbells and cheering crowds, as they ski toward the finish line in downtown Hayward WI. Spectators, too, will enjoy the celebratory, festival-like atmosphere, food, and music in downtown Hayward on Friday, for the Korte and Prince Haakon, and on Saturday for the Birkie. It is a great way to catch Birkie Fever! We hope to see you in 2019!
- Spans 15 kilometers from Mosquito Brook Road, through the forests, to the finish line in downtown Hayward
- The ideal event for first-time racers and skiers looking for a shorter event
- Is open to both skate and classic style skiers age 13 and older. There is a 600 skier limit!
- Two start options; 1) If you are up for a race, start with the gun at 1:15 pm, 2) If you want a casual tour, start at your own pace between 1:15 and 1:30 pm
- Your start time will be recorded when you cross the start line
- Includes the Hatchery Aid Station at 7 km from the start
- Is a timed event and all skiers will be issued timing chips and official results will be posted
- All finishers will receive commemorative pins
2019 Registration Open!
| ||May 1 to June 28||June 29 to September 6||September 7 through November 1||After November 1
|Prince Haakon Registration Fee||$100||$115||$130||$145
All participants must be 13 years of age or older on race day in order to register for the Prince Haakon.
Please register under the same name every year (exact spelling) in order to keep track of your previous race finishes. If you are unsure of the name you registered under previously, please call the Birkie office at 715-634-5025 or email firstname.lastname@example.org. Skiers interested in skiing the Prince Haakon on Friday and the Birkie on Saturday can register for both races!
Protect Your Registration!
Get reimbursed up to 100% on your Prince Haakon registration if you can’t compete for a number of reasons including:
- A covered illness or injury
- You have a traffic accident en route to your event
- Your car breaks down within 24 hours of the event
- One of the many other covered reasons
Event Registration Protector also comes with Competition Care: a 24 hour assistance hotline that can give you race-day information, locate bicycle repair shops, find nearby equipment stores, and much, much more.
Add Registration Protection!
Helping the ABSF to Go Green – Get Your 2019 Reusable Birkie Gear Bag!
It’s Back for 2019! It seems that everywhere we looked during Birkie week 2018 we spotted the awesome new Birkie gear bag! Participants gave the Birkie gear bag a rousing thumbs up!
- The 2019 Birkie gear bag will have the same great styling, same handy features, same convenient size, and a brand new look!
- The Birkie gear bag will be used in lieu of the white or yellow plastic bag you normally receive at bib pick-up. If you opt not to participate in this opportunity at registration, a yellow or white plastic bag will still be available during bib pick-up 2019.
- Locking in your own new Birkie gear bag is easy! For $39 during the registration process you can claim your own bag for 2019! The $125 value Birkie gear bag is available only while supplies last and only during the registration process. You must register for the race and gear bag no later than July 1 to guarantee a Birkie gear bag in 2019!
- Just like in 2018, the Birkie gear bag will be distributed during bib pick-up 2019 for those who’ve opted to secure a gear bag during Birkie, Korte, and Prince Haakon registration (events which currently receive plastic yellow/white drop-off bags).
- The reusable Birkie gear bag is yours to use on your year-round adventures as well as during future Birkie, Korte, and Prince Haakon races!
- Use of the Birkie gear bag significantly reduced plastic waste during Birkie week 2018. With your help, we hope to reduce even more waste from plastic bags in 2019! Thank you for helping the Birkie to go green!
- Only an official 2018 or 2019 Birkie gear bag or the provided yellow or white plastic bag will be accepted at bag drop-off on race day.
- Dimensions: 26.5 x 10.5 x 12.5 with backpack straps. The Birkie gear bag is a slightly larger version of that used by the US Ski Team and includes a special clear pocket on the top of the bag for your bib number!
Bib and Gear Bag Pickup
Bib Number Email Confirmations will be sent out the week before Birkie Week
Pre-Race Bib Pickup: Thursday, February 21
- Location: Birkie Expo, Hayward High School
- Time: 10:00 a.m. – 8:00 pm
- Details: You will pick up your bib and Birkie Gear Bag (if you ordered one). If you did not order a Birkie Gear Bag, you will get a plastic bag. You will not receive both types of bags.
- Click Here for “Expo Preview”
Race Day Bib Pickup: Friday, February 22
- Location: In the tent at the Prince Haakon start.
- Time: Noon to 1:00 pm
- Do not try to pick up your bib at the Expo on Friday morning before the race.
- There will be NO BIRKIE GEAR BAG PICKUP at the start. Plastic bags will be given to all those picking up bibs at the start. If you ordered a Birkie Gear Bag and are doing bib pickup at the start, you have two options to get your Birkie Gear Bag: 1. Bring your bib envelope (it must say “Birkie Gear Bag = Yes”) to the Expo on Friday after the race and pick it up there. 2. If you ordered a Birkie Gear Bag and are picking your bib up at the start, you can have your Birkie Gear bag mailed to you ($11 cost), up through March 15, 2019.
Race Day Schedule
- “Gun Start” at 1:15 pm
- Start at your own pace between 1:15 to 1:30 pm
- All start times will be recorded when you ski through the start tower.
The race is run according to the rules and regulations of the FIS and any special requirements stated in the entry form, Birch Scroll, this web site, www.birkie.com and participant race instructions. Offenses against any of these rules may lead to disqualification for current or future events and the forfeiture of any and all awards.
All participants in the Prince Haakon must be 13 years of age by February 22, 2019. There are no refunds allowed for any reason including race cancelation. Entry fees are non-transferable between individuals or to future races.
Participants who complete an event in for which they are not registered (for example – ski the skate course when they registered for classic) will be credited for completing the race but will not be given a finish time, will not be eligible for awards and will not be included in the official results.
Click here for policies for using the clothing transport from the start to the finish Clothing Bag Procedures
Click here for the Participant Rules.
Prince Haakon 15K skiers will depart from the start area near Phipps Road, north of Hayward, WI. The first 2-kilometers of the course are 14′ wide with one classic track and one skate lane. The remainder of the course is shared with Kortelopet skiers and is 30′ wide with two classic tracks and two skating lanes. Prince Haakon skiers will ski across Lake Hayward and over the American Birkebeiner International Bridge as they make their way toward the finish line on Hayward’s snowcovered Main Street. Cheering crowds and the ringing of cowbells will greet them on Main Street.
Click the image above for PDF map.
- Prince Haakon finishers will receive a medal when they cross the finish line in Hayward.
- The top three overall women and men will be recognized in a ceremony in the Celebration Plaza at 2:30 pm on Friday.
- There is no technique distinction in the awards.
- There are no age group awards.
Skiers, whether elite or citizen, count on spectators to cheer them on as they set their sights on the finish line. Just when they think they’re fading, spectators provide an emotional lift that encourages them along their way. Catch Birkie Fever!
Watch, cheer and ring cowbells for skiers.
Where to Watch
FINISH LINE – MAIN STREET, HAYWARD
Join the celebration at the People’s Bank Midwest Celebration Plaza on Main Street between 3rd and 4th Streets beginning at 10:00 am. The first finishers are welcomed with the ringing of the church bells as they come off of Lake Hayward on to Main Street at approximately 1:30. Good viewing is possible along the length on Main Street.
Parking is available at designated parking lots with shuttle service throughout the day. There is limited street parking with in the downtown area, respect the parking direction signs and utilize the parking lots.
The First Lutheran Church will provide childcare for children ages 4-12 on Friday, Feb. 22nd from 8am – 5pm and/or Saturday from 8am – 5pm. Cost is $50/child/day. Lunch & snack will be provided. A registration form can be found here. Completed registration forms and questions should be sent to Tiffany Chipman at email@example.com .
For additional questions, please contact Tiffany at 715-634-2141.
Check back soon to get this year’s wax recommendations from our sponsors — Swix, New Moon, Gear West, Start, and BNS.