Prince Haakon 15K
Friday, February 21, 2020! Save the Date! February 26, 2021!
Exciting, shorter ski event providing skiers an opportunity to be part of the Birkie fun!
Prince Haakon skiers will have a memorable experience skiing 15 kilometers on the beautiful Birkie Trail. Their journey will culminate with a trip up and over the International Bridge, amidst the ringing cowbells and cheering crowds, as they ski toward the finish line in downtown Hayward WI. Spectators, too, will enjoy the celebratory, festival-like atmosphere, food, and music in downtown Hayward on Friday, for the Korte and Prince Haakon, and on Saturday for the Birkie. It is a great way to catch Birkie Fever! We hope to see you in 2020!
- Spans 15 kilometers from Mosquito Brook Road, through the forests, to the finish line in downtown Hayward
- The ideal event for first-time racers and skiers looking for a shorter event
- Is open to both skate and classic style skiers age 13 and older.
- Your start time will be recorded when you cross the start line
- Includes the Hatchery Aid Station at 7 km from the start
- Is a timed event and all skiers will be issued timing chips and official results will be posted
- All finishers will receive a commemorative medal
Race Day Skier Tracking
Get the Phone App Now! Share this with Family & Friends!
Download the RTRT.me app (free!) from your app store. Search for the Birkie 2020 event within the RTRT.me app and you’re all set!
Click the link below to track your favorite skier on race day!
Users can get details such as time, pace, position on the map, and estimated finish time! Plus, watch the Live Stream cameras at various points throughout the race courses – from start to finish!
2020 Registration is Closed! 2021 Registration Opens May 1, 2020!
Save the Date! Prince Haakon – February 26, 2021
|May 1 through June 27||June 28 through September 5||September 6 through November 7||After November 7|
|Prince Haakon Registration Fee||$140||$150||$160||$170|
|U20 Prince Haakon - Skiers born on/after 1/1/2000||$100||$100||$100||$100|
All participants must be 13 years of age or older on race day in order to register for the Prince Haakon.
Please register under the same name every year (exact spelling) in order to keep track of your previous race finishes. If you are unsure of the name you registered under previously, please call the Birkie office at 715-634-5025 or email email@example.com. Skiers interested in skiing the Prince Haakon on Friday and the Birkie on Saturday can register for both races!
New in 2020!
As part of the ABSF’s efforts to promote youth development in the sport, we will be offering a U19 (born in 2001 – 2003) and U16 (born in 2004 – 2006) age class and wave for the Prince Haakon. U19/U16 athletes will be the first off the starting line and will receive age class awards!
2020 Birkie Green Gear Bag – SOLD OUT FOR ALL 2020 RACES!
The 2020 BIRKIE EXPO is Bigger than ever this year! Pick up your bib and then explore, shop, and hang out!
Check out great new skis, boots, poles, wax, gear, clothing, ways to fuel your active outdoor lifestyle, fat bikes, trail running shoes, and more! This is THE place for samples, swag, big discounts, and a chance to connect with some great organizations that support your passion for skiing and the Birkie community.
Pre-Race Bib Pickup:
Bib Number Email Confirmations will be sent out the week before Birkie Week
Thursday, February 20
- Location: Birkie Expo, Hayward High School
- Thursday, 10:00 a.m. – 8:00 p.m.
- You will pick up your bib and Birkie Gear Bag (if you ordered one). If you did not order a Birkie Gear Bag, you will get a plastic bag. You will not receive both types of bags.
- Expo Preview
Race Day Bib Pickup:
Friday February 21
- Location: Start Area Near Warming Tent
- Time: 12:00 pm – 1:00 pm
- There will be NO BIRKIE GEAR BAG PICKUP at the start. Plastic bags will be given to all those picking up bibs at the start. If you ordered a Birkie Gear Bag and are unable to pick up your bag at the Birkie Expo, you can have your Birkie Gear Bag mailed to you for $11. Deadline to claim your Birkie Bag is March 31, 2020. Bags will be mailed at the end of March 2020. You must click here to request to have your Birkie Gear Bag mailed to you.
How to Get to the Start
Bus service runs continuously to the start from the skier parking lot at Birkie Ridge and the new, smaller P.H. Farm Lot. Buses will pick up skiers and spectators and shuttle directly to the start from 11:30 am – 1:45 pm. Please allow 30 minutes to bus to the start from Birkie Ridge and 10 minutes to bus to the start from the P.H. Farm Lot. **Parking at the start is by permit only.**
Buses from the Finish in downtown Hayward will bring you back to the Birkie Ridge parking lot from 12:30 – 5:00 pm and the P.H. Farm Lot from 2:30 – 5:00 pm..
Race Day Schedule
- New for 2020! U19/U16 Boys start at 1:15 pm
- U19/U16 Girls start at 1:20 pm
- Mass start at 1:25 pm
- Laid back start between 1:25 and 1:35 pm
- All start times will be recorded when you ski through the start tower. Winners will be based on overall, chip time and not based on the first to cross the finish line.
The race is run according to the rules and regulations of the FIS and any special requirements stated in the entry form, Birch Scroll, this web site, www.birkie.com and participant race instructions. Offenses against any of these rules may lead to disqualification for current or future events and the forfeiture of any and all awards.
All participants in the Prince Haakon must be 13 years of age by February 22, 2020. There are no refunds allowed for any reason including race cancelation. Entry fees are non-transferable between individuals or to future races. You may request to change to the Kortelopet or Birkie by clicking here.
Participants who complete an event in for which they are not registered (for example – ski the skate course when they registered for classic) will be credited for completing the race but will not be given a finish time, will not be eligible for awards and will not be included in the official results.
Clothing Bag Procedures: policies for using the clothing transport from the start to the finish
NEW IN 2020! Trash Penalty. There will be “Last Chance” garbage disposal areas as you leave aid stations at all 2020 races. Any skier caught throwing waste on the trail or into the woods between aid stations could be assessed a 15 minute penalty. Violators should be reported by bib number via email at firstname.lastname@example.org or to a volunteer at the next aid station. Read more in the Participant rules above.
Cut-off times for races must be strictly followed for the safety of participants and volunteers. Participants not following guidance from Medical Staff and Race Chiefs will risk penalty and possible ineligibility for future Birkie Events.
|Time||Location||Kilometer from Start|
|3:35 pm||Hatchery Park Aid Station||7 KM|
|5:00 pm||Finish Line||15 KM|
Prince Haakon 15K skiers will depart from the start area near Phipps Road, north of Hayward, WI. The first 2-kilometers of the course are 14′ wide with one classic track and one skate lane. The remainder of the course is shared with Kortelopet skiers and is 30′ wide with two classic tracks and two skating lanes. Prince Haakon skiers will ski across Lake Hayward and over the American Birkebeiner International Bridge as they make their way toward the finish line on Hayward’s snowcovered Main Street. Cheering crowds and the ringing of cowbells will greet them on Main Street.
- Prince Haakon finishers will receive a medal when they cross the finish line in Hayward.
- The top three overall women and men will be recognized in a ceremony in the Celebration Plaza at 3:00 pm on Friday.
- *Winners based on overall, chip time, not on the first to cross the finish line.
- There is no technique distinction in the awards.
- New in 2020! U16 and U19 age group awards.
Skiers, whether elite or citizen, count on spectators to cheer them on as they set their sights on the finish line. Just when they think they’re fading, spectators provide an emotional lift that encourages them along their way. Catch Birkie Fever!
Watch, cheer and ring cowbells for skiers.
Where to Watch
Finish Line – Main Street, Hayward
Join the celebration at the People’s Bank Midwest Celebration Plaza on Main Street between 3rd and 4th Streets beginning at 10:00 am. The first finishers are welcomed with the ringing of the church bells as they come off of Lake Hayward on to Main Street at approximately 2:00 pm. Good viewing is possible along the length of Main Street.
Parking is available at designated parking lots with shuttle service throughout the day. There is limited street parking with in the downtown area, respect the parking direction signs and utilize the parking lots.
NEW IN 2020! There will be no spectator crosswalks on Main St. The only pedestrian crossings will be under the International Bridge across Hwy 63 at the bottom of Main St. There will be signs directing pedestrian traffic. Please keep this in mind and plan accordingly.
Lodging & Services
For lodging information, see our Lodging page.
Camp Birkie Childcare
The First Lutheran Church will provide childcare on Friday, Feb. 21st and/or Saturday, Feb. 22nd.
For information on Camp Birkie, click here.
Check back soon to get this year’s wax recommendations from our sponsors — Swix, New Moon, Gear West, Start, and BNS.
Future Event Dates
Future Birkie Week Dates:
2021: February 25 – 27
2022: February 24 – 26
2023: February 23 – 25