Prince Haakon 15K
Friday, February 26, 2021!
Exciting, shorter ski event providing skiers an opportunity to be part of the Birkie fun!
Prince Haakon skiers will have a memorable experience skiing 15 kilometers on the beautiful Birkie Trail. Their journey will culminate with a trip up and over the International Bridge, amidst the ringing cowbells and cheering crowds, as they ski toward the finish line in downtown Hayward WI. Spectators will enjoy the celebratory, festival-like atmosphere, food, and music in downtown Hayward on Friday, for the Korte and Prince Haakon, and on Saturday for the Birkie. It is a great way to catch Birkie Fever! We hope to see you in 2021!
- Spans 15 kilometers from Mosquito Brook Road, through the forests, to the finish line in downtown Hayward
- The ideal event for first-time racers and skiers looking for a shorter event
- Is open to both skate and classic technique skiers age 13 and older.
- Your start time will be recorded when you cross the start line
- Includes the Hatchery Aid Station at 7 km from the start
- Is a timed event and all skiers will be issued timing chips and official results will be posted
- All finishers will receive a commemorative medal
2021 Prince Haakon – Save the Date: Friday, February 26, 2021
Registration Opens May 1, 2020
|Tier||Entry Fee||Tier Status & Registration|
ALL U20 Skiers
Tier 1 – First 3000 American Birkebeiner, Kortelopet & Prince Haakon Registrations
Tier 2 will open after Tier 1 is full
Tier 3 will open after Tier 2 is full
Tier 4 will open after Tier 3 is full
All participants must be 13 years of age or older on race day in order to register for the Prince Haakon.
Please register under the same name every year (exact spelling) in order to keep track of your previous race finishes. If you are unsure of the name you registered under previously, please call the Birkie office at 715-634-5025 or email email@example.com. Skiers interested in skiing the Prince Haakon on Friday and the Birkie on Saturday can register for both races!
U19 & U16 Age classes
As part of the ABSF’s efforts to promote youth development in the sport, we will be offering a U19 (born in 2002 – 2004) and U16 (born in 2005 – 2007) age class wave for the Prince Haakon. U19/U16 athletes will be the first off the starting line!
Protect Your Registration!
Get reimbursed up to 100% on your registration if you can’t compete for a number of reasons. Next Wave Insurance offers Regsaver so you can insure your non-refundable registration fee in the case injury, illness, or another covered peril occurs.* Please see policy for complete list of covered perils at www.registrationsaver.com/birkie. Limitations and exclusions apply. Next Wave Insurance, CA License #: OF00755.
2021 Birkie Gear Bag – Available During Race Registration Only!
It’s Back for 2021! Everywhere we looked during Birkie week 2020, we witnessed skiers using their awesome reusable Birkie gear bags! This year, as part of our ongoing Birkie Green initiative we’ve designed an all new custom Birkie gear bag with SWIX! The reusable Birkie gear bag is available for $45 and only during registration for the Birkie, Korte, Prince Haakon and Fat Bike Birkie. Through your support, over 10,000 Birkie gear bags are now in use, keeping thousands upon thousands of plastic bags out of landfills. Thank you for your support of Birkie Green!
- During the 2021 registration process, you can claim your own bag for only $45! The $125 value Birkie gear bag is available during the registration process only.
- Quantities limited! Register for the race and gear bag soon to guarantee a Birkie gear bag in 2021!
- Birkie gear bags will be distributed at the 2021 Birkie Expo as part of bib pick-up.
- Only an official 2018, 2019, 2020, or 2021 Birkie gear bag, or the purchased plastic bag, will be accepted at bag drop-off on race day in 2021.
2021 Birkie Gear Bag Features
The 2021 Birkie gear bag has been re-engineered with larger, heavier zippers and plastic clips throughout the bag.
- New Reinforced #10 zippers
- Tarpaulin panel on the bottom section for waterproofing and greater durability
- Bottom wet-sealed compartment for Nordic Boot storage (fits up to size 13 Nordic boot)
- Fleeced lined Sports Shield zipped compartment for glasses or visor, with brushed lining to prevent lens scratches and quick, easy access
- Large top-load zippered compartment for warm-up clothing, extra hats, and gloves
- Two zippered side compartments for extra water bottles and accessories
- Inside secured pocket for valuables; mobile phone, keys and wallet pocket
- Main pack body is made from tough 600D PVC backed polyester, internal frame-sheet transfers weight evenly and contours to the wearer’s back
- Padded EVA foam back offers cushioning and breathability over pressure points, and padded shoulder straps and harness system to distribute weight evenly
Event Change Request:
Participants may request to change from the Prince Haakon to the Birkie or Korte at any time until 4:00pm CST on February 2, 2021. **Make sure to specify a TECHNIQUE when changing races.** Wave placement is subject to availability at time of request. If the wave that you qualify for is full, you will be assigned to the next wave with space available. (Participants may no longer transfer to the Birkie or Korte once they are full.) A change fee of $25 will be applied. You will receive an updated e-mail confirmation reflecting the change once the change has been made. If you do NOT receive an updated e-mail confirmation within 10 business days, contact firstname.lastname@example.org.
Click here to make an event change request. (Available after May 1)
Race Day Schedule
- U19/U16 Boys start at 1:15 pm
- U19/U16 Girls start at 1:20 pm
- Mass start at 1:25 pm
- Laid back start between 1:25 and 1:35 pm
- All start times will be recorded when you ski through the start tower. Winners will be based on overall, chip time and not based on the first to cross the finish line.
Check out great new skis, boots, poles, wax, gear, clothing, ways to fuel your active outdoor lifestyle, fat bikes, trail running shoes, and more! This is THE place for samples, swag, big discounts, and a chance to connect with some great organizations that support your passion for skiing and the Birkie community.
The race is run according to the rules and regulations of the Federation of International Skiing (FIS) and any special requirements stated in the entry form, Birch Scroll, this web site, www.birkie.com, and participant race instructions. Offenses against any of these rules may lead to disqualification for current or future events and the forfeiture of any and all awards.
All participants in the Prince Haakon must be 13 years of age by February 26, 2021. There are no refunds allowed for any reason including race cancelation. Entry fees are non-transferable between individuals or to future races. You may request to change to the Kortelopet or Birkie by clicking here.
Clothing Bag Procedures: policies for using the clothing transport from the start to the finish
A trash penalty is now in place for all Birkie events. Any participant, coach, or support crew caught throwing waste on the trail or into the woods between aid stations could be assessed a 15 minute penalty. There will be “Last Chance” garbage disposal areas as you leave each aid stations at all 2021 races. Violators should be reported by bib number via email at email@example.com or to a volunteer at the next aid station. Read more in the Participant rules above.
Cut-off times for races must be strictly followed for the safety of participants and volunteers. Participants not following guidance from Medical Staff and Race Chiefs will risk penalty and possible ineligibility for future Birkie Events.
|Time||Location||Kilometer from Start|
|3:35 pm||Hatchery Park Aid Station||7 KM|
|5:00 pm||Finish Line||15 KM|
Prince Haakon 15K skiers will depart from the start area near Phipps Road, north of Hayward, WI. The first 2-kilometers of the course are 14′ wide with one classic track and one skate lane. The remainder of the course is shared with Kortelopet skiers and is 30′ wide with two classic tracks and two skating lanes. Prince Haakon skiers will ski across Lake Hayward and over the American Birkebeiner International Bridge as they make their way toward the finish line on Hayward’s snow covered Main Street. Cheering crowds and the ringing of cowbells will greet them on Main Street.
- Prince Haakon finishers will receive a medal when they cross the finish line in Hayward.
- The top three overall women and men will be recognized in a ceremony in the Celebration Plaza at 3:00 pm on Friday.
- *Winners based on overall, chip time, not the first to cross the finish line.
- There is no technique distinction in the awards.
Skiers, whether elite or citizen, count on spectators to cheer them on as they set their sights on the finish line. Just when they think they’re fading, spectators provide an emotional lift that encourages them along their way. Catch Birkie Fever!
Watch, cheer, and ring cowbells for skiers.
Where to Watch
Finish Line – Main Street, Hayward
Join the celebration at the Peoples Bank Midwest Celebration Plaza on Main Street between 3rd and 4th Streets. The first Prince Haakon finishers are welcomed with the ringing of the church bells as they come off of Lake Hayward on to Main Street at approximately 2:00 pm. Good viewing is possible along the length of Main Street.
Parking is available at designated parking lots with shuttle service throughout the day. There is limited street parking with in the downtown area, respect the parking direction signs and utilize the parking lots.
For skier and spectator safety, there are no pedestrian crossings on Main Street. Please use the access under the International Bridge for travel to the other side of the street.
Lodging & Services
For lodging information, see our Lodging page.
Check back soon to get this year’s wax recommendations from our sponsors — Swix, New Moon, Gear West, Start, and BNS.
Future Event Dates
Future Birkie Week Dates:
2022: February 24 – 26
2023: February 23 – 25