Prince Haakon 14K
Wednesday-Sunday, February 24-28, 2021
Exciting, shorter ski event providing skiers an opportunity to be part of the Birkie fun!
Have you longed to challenge yourself in a brand new way? Set your sights on Prince Haakon 2021 and you’ll have something positive to train for, look forward to, be a part of, plan for. It will be a 2021 Prince Haakon experience to remember! #BirkieStrongerTogether
Wednesday, Feb. 24: FREESTYLE
Thursday, Feb. 25: FREESTYLE
Friday, Feb. 26: CLASSIC
Saturday, Feb. 27: FREESTYLE
Sunday, Feb. 28: CLASSIC
- The ideal event for first-time racers and skiers looking for a shorter event
- Is open to both skate and classic technique skiers age 13 and older.
- Your start time will be recorded when you cross the start line
- Is a timed event and all skiers will be issued timing chips and official results will be posted
- All finishers will receive a commemorative medal
2021 Prince Haakon – Wednesday, February 24-Sunday, February 28, 2021
|Tier||Entry Fee||Tier Status & Registration|
ALL U20 Skiers
Tier 1 First 3000 American Birkebeiner, Kortelopet & Prince Haakon Skiers – Closed 5/5/20
Tier 2 - American Birkebeiner, Kortelopet, Prince Haakon Skiers - Closed 7/17/20
Tier 3 - American Birkebeiner, Kortelopet, Prince Haakon Skiers
Tier 4 will open after Tier 3 is full
All participants must be 13 years of age or older on race day in order to register for the Prince Haakon.
Please register under the same name every year (exact spelling) in order to keep track of your previous race finishes. If you are unsure of the name you registered under previously, please call the Birkie office at 715-634-5025 or email firstname.lastname@example.org. Skiers interested in skiing the Prince Haakon on Friday and the Birkie on Saturday can register for both races!
Virtual Event Option
For skiers that aren’t able to travel to Hayward/Cable, or skiers that don’t feel comfortable traveling in February of 2021, we are offering a virtual event for the American Birkebeiner, Kortelopet, and Prince Haakon. Register for your event now and choose to participate virtually. You’ll receive your bib and participant hat in the mail so you can wear your bib on race day. Complete your event on skis or rollerskis on the event day and within the event time limit, track your race using a GPS based app or have a reliable eyewitness verify your results. Submit your results and you will receive credit for the race and your finish pin. Results from virtual participation may not be used for future wave placement. More details and specifics will be announced early this winter. Participants already registered will be able to change to the virtual option this winter.
Protect Your Registration!
Get reimbursed up to 100% on your registration if you can’t compete for a number of reasons. Next Wave Insurance offers Regsaver so you can insure your non-refundable registration fee in the case injury, illness, or another covered peril occurs.* Please see policy for complete list of covered perils at www.registrationsaver.com/birkie. Limitations and exclusions apply. Next Wave Insurance, CA License #: OF00755.
2021 Birkie Gear Bag – Available During Race Registration Only!
It’s Back for 2021! Everywhere we looked during Birkie week 2020, we witnessed skiers using their awesome reusable Birkie gear bags! This year, as part of our ongoing Birkie Green initiative we’ve designed an all new custom Birkie gear bag with SWIX! The reusable Birkie gear bag is available for $47 and only during registration for the Birkie, Korte, Prince Haakon and Fat Bike Birkie. Through your support, over 10,000 Birkie gear bags are now in use, keeping thousands upon thousands of plastic bags out of landfills. Thank you for your support of Birkie Green!
*New for 2021, check out the Junior Birkie gear bag, also from Swix! See details here.
- During the 2021 registration process, you can claim your own bag for only $47! The $125 value Birkie gear bag is available during the registration process only.
- Quantities limited! Register for the race and gear bag soon to guarantee a Birkie gear bag in 2021!
- Birkie gear bags will be distributed at the 2021 Birkie Expo as part of bib pick-up.
- Only an official 2018, 2019, 2020, or 2021 Birkie gear bag, or the purchased plastic bag, will be accepted at bag drop-off on race day in 2021.
2021 Birkie Gear Bag Features
The 2021 Birkie gear bag has been re-engineered with larger, heavier zippers and plastic clips throughout the bag.
- New Reinforced #10 zippers
- Tarpaulin panel on the bottom section for waterproofing and greater durability
- Bottom wet-sealed compartment for Nordic Boot storage (fits up to size 13 Nordic boot)
- Fleeced lined Sports Shield zipped compartment for glasses or visor, with brushed lining to prevent lens scratches and quick, easy access
- Large top-load zippered compartment for warm-up clothing, extra hats, and gloves
- Two zippered side compartments for extra water bottles and accessories
- Inside secured pocket for valuables; mobile phone, keys and wallet pocket
- Main pack body is made from tough 600D PVC backed polyester, internal frame-sheet transfers weight evenly and contours to the wearer’s back
- Padded EVA foam back offers cushioning and breathability over pressure points, and padded shoulder straps and harness system to distribute weight evenly
As part of 2021 race registration, ABSF members will automatically receive a copy of the 2021 Birch Scroll® magazine. If you are not a member and would like to join the ABSF or would like to purchase a copy of the 2021 Birch Scroll results issue, you may pre-order a copy during your race registration process. As part of ongoing Birkie Green initiatives, all registered participants will receive a digital copy of the 2021 Birch Scroll magazine.
Event Change Request:
Participants may request to change from the Prince Haakon to the Birkie or Korte at any time until 4:00pm CST on January 19, 2021. **Make sure to specify a TECHNIQUE when changing races.** Wave placement is subject to availability at time of request. If the wave that you qualify for is full, you will be assigned to the next wave with space available. (Participants may no longer transfer to the Birkie or Korte once they are full.) A change fee of $25 will be applied. You will receive an updated e-mail confirmation reflecting the change once the change has been made. If you do NOT receive an updated e-mail confirmation within 10 business days, contact email@example.com.
Click here to make an event change request.
The race is run according to the rules and regulations of the Federation of International Skiing (FIS) and any special requirements stated in the entry form, Birch Scroll, this web site, www.birkie.com, and participant race instructions. Offenses against any of these rules may lead to disqualification for current or future events and the forfeiture of any and all awards.
All participants in the Prince Haakon must be 13 years of age by February 26, 2021. There are no refunds allowed for any reason including race cancelation. Entry fees are non-transferable between individuals or to future races. You may request to change to the Kortelopet or Birkie by clicking here.
Clothing Bag Procedures: policies for using the clothing transport from the start to the finish
A trash penalty is now in place for all Birkie events. Any participant, coach, or support crew caught throwing waste on the trail or into the woods between aid stations could be assessed a 15 minute penalty. There will be “Last Chance” garbage disposal areas as you leave each aid stations at all 2021 races. Violators should be reported by bib number via email at firstname.lastname@example.org or to a volunteer at the next aid station. Read more in the Participant rules above.
Cut-off times for races must be strictly followed for the safety of participants and volunteers. Participants not following guidance from Medical Staff and Race Chiefs will risk penalty and possible ineligibility for future Birkie Events. Cut-off times for the 2021 event are still being determined. Check back soon for official information.
- Prince Haakon finishers will receive a medal when they cross the finish line!
Lodging & Services
For lodging information, see our Lodging page.
Check back soon to get this year’s wax recommendations from our sponsors — Swix, New Moon, Gear West, Start, and BNS.
Future Event Dates
Future Birkie Week Dates:
2022: February 24 – 26
2023: February 23 – 25