Gitchi Gami Games
January 25-26, 2020
Birkie Trailhead • Cable, WI
The Gitchi Gami Games are part of the Junior Cup & Youth Cup event series in 2020. The JNQ series is governed by Central Cross Country Skiing (CXC) and encourages young athletes from U8 to U23 age divisions to enjoy cross country skiing and develop their skills, whether they are new to the sport High School skiers, aspiring junior skiers who hope to compete at the top national and international levels, or are somewhere in between. Events mix Olympic-style competition with elements of learning and fun for all levels – from beginner racers to those with International experience.
Friday January 24 - Course Preview
|10:00 am||Wax Area Open|
|12:00 pm||Course Open for Inspection|
|5:30 PM||Coaches Meeting /Bib Distribution - Cable Community Center|
|6:00 pm||Course Closed|
|10:00 pm||Wax Area Closed|
Saturday January 25 - Freestyle Sprint
|6:00 am||Wax Area Open|
|7:30 am||Course Open/Bib Pick-up Opens|
|9:00 am||Qual Boys/Girls U16/U18/U20/U23/Sr||U18/U20/U23/Sr 1.55 km Men, 1.35 Women
U16 1.35 km
|10:00 am||Qual Boy/Girls U14/U12/U10||U14/U12/U10 725m|
|10:30||Heats/Finals U14/U12/U10||U14/U12/U10 725m|
|11:15 am||Heats Boys/Girls U18/U20/U23/Sr (Top 30)||1.55 km Men, 1.35 km Women|
|12:30 pm||Course open|
|12:45 pm||Semis/Finals Boys/Girls U16||1.35 km|
|1:15 pm||Adaptive Sprint||1.2/1.0 km|
|1:30 pm||Course Open|
|1:45 pm||Open mass start MS/HS Skate Race||3.0 km/4.5 km|
|3:30 pm||Course Open|
|6:00 pm||Course Closed|
Sunday January 26 - Ind. Start Classic
|6:00 am||Wax Area Open|
|7:30 am||Course open / Bib Pick-up Opens|
|9:30 am||Boys U18/U20/U23/Sr/NCAA||10 km (4 x 2.5k)|
|10:45 am||Girls U18/U20/U23/Sr/NCAA||10 km (4 x 2.5k)|
|11:45 am||Adaptive Distance||1.8km / 3.6km|
|12:00 pm||Course Open|
|12:15 pm||Boys U16||5 km (2 x 2.5k)|
|12:45 pm||Girls U16||5 km (2 x 2.5k)|
|1:15 pm||Boys U14||2.5 km|
|1:20 pm||Girls U14||2.5 km|
|1:30 pm||Boys & Girls U12/U10||1.35 km|
|Revised Schedule||1/23/20 9:30 pm||*Subject to change|
Indoor waxing will be allowed in the eastern portion of the Great Hall. A heated area 40’ x 60’ with access to power will be provided. Collegiate and Junior teams can request a space by contacting Jim Sokup. Remaining space will be on a first come first serve basis and we ask all users to be considerate of others while using the facility. Please provide your own equipment, including a tarp or other floor covering material and clean the area prior to leaving. Hours of indoor waxing are noted on schedule. There is limited power outdoors at a pedestal in the Team leader / Team parking area on the North side of Great Hall. Questions regarding onsite wax area should be directed to Jim Sokup – email@example.com
CXC JR/Youth Cup Waxing Procedures
- The CXC JR Cup has a Classic Waxing Pur Flouro Restriction – For all classic races, including distance races and sprints, the use of pur flouro powder, liquid or block top coats for glide wax is prohibited. Maximum of high flouro paraffin glide waxes only (liquid paraffins are allowed). Low flouro glide waxes, cold powders, and hardeners are acceptable. Pur fluoro used in the kick zone as part of a kick wax or hairy ski application is allowable.
- There is no CXC JR Cup wax restriction for Freestyle races.
- The rationale for these procedures is to reduce the time and cost of applying powders and top coats for classic races while also allowing wax technicians to concentrate on the critical application of classic kick waxes. At the same time, not having restrictions on Freestyle race days allows our wax technicians to develop and practice the skills of applying powders and top coats and our athletes to know how to respond to their technicians doing this work prior to national level races where there are no restrictions.
- YOUTH CUP – has a complete flouro ban on all events
- HS/MS Open race will follow WI High School League rules- no HF or pure flouros.
Team Leader Communication
Team Coaches Meeting – Friday 5:30PM, Cable Community Center
Cable Chamber of Commerce: Lodging Map
Contact Cable Chamber: 715-798-3833 or firstname.lastname@example.org
Parking & Spectator Info
Spectators are encouraged to attend events throughout the weekend. Multiple locations adjacent to both the start and finish zones will offer opportunities for those who wish to come and encourage racers. The open stadium and multiple lap formats present quality viewing for all. Spectators will be allowed travel along the northern most edge of the course leading away from the stadium. We ask that spectators do not cross the course within the area adjacent and including the stadium.
Ample parking is located directly at the venue. Team leader, team, and bus parking will be allowed in the lot directly north of the Great Hall. Please follow the parking signs past the start area.
If you are interested in volunteering for the Gitchi Gami Games, please click here to register for available shifts.
Chief of Course: Jim Sokup (email@example.com)
Chief of Timing: John Oman (firstname.lastname@example.org)
Race Secretary: Colette Belisle (email@example.com)
Online Registration Questions: CXC (firstname.lastname@example.org ) or (608) 294-0433
Press Coordinator: Nancy Knutson (email@example.com)
Chief of Competition: Kristy Maki (firstname.lastname@example.org)
Asst. Chief of Competition: Ben Popp (email@example.com)