Birkie Trail Passes - What You Need to Know
Trail Passes On Sale Now!
A Regular Season Birkie Trail Pass is required for each person to ski on the 100+ kilometer Birkie Trail System from December 1 through March 31.
An All-Access Snow Pass, or daily pass, is required to ski on the Tormondsen Family Snowmaking Trail at any time.
By order of the Sawyer County Board of Directors, no person may use that portion of the American Birkebeiner Trail System in Sawyer County between December 1 and March 31 unless they have purchased a Trail Pass. Sawyer County grants to the named holder of a Trail Pass a revocable temporary license to access the Trail System.
The ABSF spends over $650,000 annually to maintain the nationally recognized and award-winning Birkie Trail system. Depending on the time of the ski season, the ABSF offers two pass options:
- Regular Season Birkie Trail Pass
- This pass gives you access to the entire groomed Birkie Trail once it opens for the season!
- All-Access Snow Pass
- The All-Access Snow Pass allows the same access to the entire groomed Birkie Trail, but also includes access to the Tormondsen Family Snowmaking Trail that is groomed and tracked before there is enough natural snow to groom the Birkie Trail. This is the only season pass option available to ski on the Tormondsen Family Snowmaking Trail.
- Team Bus Pass
- For team members and coaches arriving and skiing together as a group. Non-coaching staff and adults must purchase their own individual daily or season pass.
- For information on available space at the American Birkebeiner Trailhead for team use, email firstname.lastname@example.org and see details here.
We depend on the revenue from all ski passes to make certain that the Birkie Trail system remains the No. 1 cross-country ski destination in the nation. Please make certain every skier in your family/group has the appropriate ski pass!
Regular Season Birkie Trail Pass
All-Access Snow Pass
2023-24 Pass Pricing
|All-Access Snow Pass
(Snowmaking Loop and greater Birkie Trail system)
|Regular Season Birkie Trail Pass (Groomed, natural snow. Valid once the greater Birkie Trail officially opens)
|Daily Pass Pricing for ANY Day (Birkie Trail or Snowmaking Loop):
|Adult (ages 19+)
|Family (2 adults and children ages 13-18 with same address)
|Youth (Ages 13 - 18)
|Kids (12 and under)
Where/How to Purchase Passes
Purchase your Birkie Trail Pass right from your phone!
All annual passes will be mailed within 10-days of purchase. Your purchase receipt will act as your pass in the meantime. Please have your annual pass displayed visibly on you at all times while skiing. Annual passes are personalized with each skier’s name and include a carabiner.
All-Access Snow Pass
While the regular season Birkie Trail Pass is required to ski on the groomed Birkie Trail from December through March, the ABSF is pleased to again offer early season skiing on our machine-made Tormondsen Family Snowmaking Trail at the American Birkebeiner Trailhead near Cable, WI! If you would like to ski on the Tormondsen Family Snowmaking Trail, you must purchase the All-Access Snow Pass. All-Access Snow Passes are required before the greater Birkie Trail opens for the season. Added revenue from the All-Access Snow Pass will help to offset the costs of snowmaking efforts and early trail preparation at the venue.
Donations are welcome from other trail users including snow-shoers, mountain bikers, hikers, runners and Nordic trekkers.
Trail Pass Proceeds
Birkie Trail Ski Pass Proceeds Fund the Following Trail Maintenance & Projects
- Snow Grooming
- Equipment and maintenance
- Trail Mowing, Brushing & Removing of Downed Trees
- Replacing & Updating Signage and Gates
- Erosion Control
- Lighting of 5km of trails
- Parking lot plowing and upkeep