All You Need to Know About Birkie Ski Passes
A Regular Season Birkie Trail Pass is required for each person to ski on the 100+ kilometer Birkie Trail System from December 1 through March 31. An All-Access Snow Pass is required to ski on the snowmaking loop at any time.
Birkie Trail Ski Passes will be available to purchase starting November 1, 2019.
Donations are welcome from other trail users including snow-shoers, mountain bikers, hikers, runners and Nordic walkers.
Birkie Trail Ski Pass Proceeds Fund the Following Trail Maintenance & Projects
- Snow Grooming
- Equipment and maintenance
- Trail Mowing, Brushing & Removing of Downed Trees
- Replacing & Updating Signage and Gates
- Erosion Control
- Lighting of 5km of trails
- Parking lot plowing and upkeep
- Restrooms at the “OO” and Mosquito Brook Trailheads
By order of the Sawyer County Board of Directors, no person may use that portion of the American Birkebeiner Trail System in Sawyer County between December 1 and March 31 unless they have purchased a Trail Pass. Sawyer County grants to the named holder of a Trail Pass a revocable temporary license to access the Trail System.
The ABSF spends over $350,000 annually to maintain the nationally recognized and award-winning Birkie Trail system. Depending on the time of the ski season, the ABSF offers two pass options:
- Regular Season Birkie Trail Pass
- This pass gives you access to the entire groomed Birkie Trail once it opens for the season!
- All-Access Snow Pass
- The All-Access Snow Pass allows the same access to the entire groomed Birkie Trail, but also includes access to the snowmaking loop that is groomed and tracked before there is enough natural snow to groom the Birkie Trail. This is the only season pass option available to ski on the snowmaking loop.
We depend on the revenue from all ski passes to make certain that the Birkie Trail system remains the No. 1 cross-country ski destination in the nation. Please make certain every skier in your family has the appropriate ski pass!
2020-2021 Birkie Trail Pass On Sale Soon!
2019-20 Pass Pricing
|PASS TYPE||Daily Pass Pricing for ANY Day (Birkie Trail or Snowmaking Loop):||Regular Season Birkie Trail Pass (Groomed, natural snow. Valid once the greater Birkie Trail officially opens)||All-Access Snow Pass
(Snowmaking Loop and greater Birkie Trail system)
|Adult (ages 19+)||$10||$50||$90|
|Family (2 adults and children ages 13-18 with same address)||$25||$125||$225|
|Youth (Ages 13 - 18)||$5||$25||$50|
|Kids (12 and under)||Free||Free||Free|
Where/How to Purchase Passes
Annual and daily passes can be purchased at the following places:
- The Birkie Office
- New Moon Ski & Bike, Hayward, WI
- Riverbrook Bike & Ski, Hayward, WI
- Redbery Books, Cable, WI
- Start Line Inn, Cable, WI
- All Birkie Trailheads (inside trailhead cabins)
All annual passes will be mailed within 10-days of purchase. Your purchase receipt will act as your pass in the meantime. Please have your annual pass displayed visibly on you at all times while skiing. Annual passes are personalized with each skier’s name and include a carabiner.
All-Access Snow Pass
NEW IN 2019! While the regular season Birkie Trail Pass is required to ski on the groomed Birkie Trail from December through March, the ABSF is pleased to again offer early season skiing on our human-made snow loop at the American Birkebeiner Trailhead near Cable, WI! With two snow guns and access to the World Cup Trails this year, it will be even better than last season! If you would like to ski on the human-made snow loop, you must purchase the All-Access Snow Pass. All-Access Snow Passes are required before the greater Birkie Trail opens for the season. Added revenue from the All-Access Snow Pass will help to offset the costs of snowmaking efforts and early trail and snow preparation at the venue.